I think I’ve got some starfish!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding my fish last night and noticed something on the side wall of my tank that looks an awful lot like a starfish. Then I noticed another one on the back wall. Except I’ve never (knowingly) purchased any. They must have come as hitchhikers either on some live rock that I purchased, but that was almost a year ago, so it’s odd that I haven’t seen them before now.

They’re about 8-10 mm across. When I checked this morning, the one on the side wall had moved about 6” and the one on the back wall was gone, so they’re definitely mobile. Is there anything I should be concerned about with them? They obviously weren’t a planned purchase, but it’s kind of cool to have them.

E4C8D5EE-02CC-4A65-82A1-48B9EABF1926.jpeg F519D244-9675-43DE-B24A-C46670783A51.jpeg

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re Asterina Starfish. They don’t get any bigger than about 1cm accross. They don’t prey on coral or inverts or have really any harm in the tank. They do just randomly appear and disappear.
There have been cases of which people have noted them eating their zoas. I personally haven’t experienced this, and I’ve got about 40 zoa colonies, and have had these starfish by the hundreds at once.
No need to worry about them unless you actually see one causing a problem.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah- that 's what I was thinking they were. No problems that I know of - I'll just enjoy seeing a little starfish on the glass once in a while.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back