Need ID looks like flatworm?

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this guy on my 10 gal and wanted to know if it’s a flatworm, I took him out and put him under the microscope, my hands were a bit shaky, sorry about the image but it’s the best I got
They’re not everywhere, I just noticed one

IMG_8722.jpeg IMG_8723.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes i believe it is eefw or aefw cannot be sure from pic, did it come off in a dip ?
what is coral stocking list in tank ?

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i believe it is eefw or aefw cannot be sure from pic, did it come off in a dip ?
what is coral stocking list in tank ?
I will try and get a clear pic tmrw but do you know how to get rid of them? It’s for a dwarf seahorses tank with softies and macro algae

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas advice on getting a more clear pic so we can I'd?
Lighting the microscope with a whiter and less orangish light would go a long way here, and pics of the worm where both ends are flat on the ground and visible in the pics would help too.

That said, this doesn't look quite right for AEFW or EEFW - seeing the tail flat would help with saying if it's red planaria or a related species. If the tail isn't right for that, then it may be a polyclad species of some variety.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello very sorry for the late responses, but here’s a picture of it in the tank, I’ve been trying to look for them again these past few days but no luck until today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting the microscope with a whiter and less orangish light would go a long way here, and pics of the worm where both ends are flat on the ground and visible in the pics would help too.

That said, this doesn't look quite right for AEFW or EEFW - seeing the tail flat would help with saying if it's red planaria or a related species. If the tail isn't right for that, then it may be a polyclad species of some variety.
Yes I’ve been meaning to change the bulb but haven’t had the chance to, I can’t for sure say it’s a red or orange flatworm, it’s very small and the only color I can see is a brownish color to it but can’t tell for sure

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello very sorry for the late responses, but here’s a picture of it in the tank, I’ve been trying to look for them again these past few days but no luck until today
These pics show the tail well enough to confirm it's a Convolutid flatworm, and I don't see the typical third bump on the tail that would be seen on a Convolutriloba species like Red Planaria.

It appears to be a relatively harmless variety like a Ghost Flatworm (Amphiscolops sp.), but I'm not familiar enough yet with Convolutidae's genera to eliminate the others for certain.

Anyway, they're still flatworms, so removal is generally recommended.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics show the tail well enough to confirm it's a Convolutid flatworm, and I don't see the typical third bump on the tail that would be seen on a Convolutriloba species like Red Planaria.

It appears to be a relatively harmless variety like a Ghost Flatworm (Amphiscolops sp.), but I'm not familiar enough yet with Convolutidae's genera to eliminate the others for certain.

Anyway, they're still flatworms, so removal is generally recommended.
Sorry for the late reply, do you think a velvet nudibranch would work well? It’s a 10 gallon macro display and don’t want to use chemicals or have a wrasse

I don’t see them too often, I see one or two everyday but it’s not super infested, would it be a good idea to get the velvet nudi?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 18

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, do you think a velvet nudibranch would work well? It’s a 10 gallon macro display and don’t want to use chemicals or have a wrasse

I don’t see them too often, I see one or two everyday but it’s not super infested, would it be a good idea to get the velvet nudi?
From what I've heard, I think the Blue Velvet Nudibranch, Chelidonura varians (which is actually a Cephalaspidean/Headshield Slug, not a Nudibranch), would likely take care of the issue very quickly - my concern would be rehoming it afterward, as it will likely starve to death once it gets rid of the flatworms.

That said, if you have somewhere you can for sure rehome them after, then I'd say go for it and let us know how it goes. Otherwise, you can manually remove any flatworms you see or go the chemical route (but I understand the reluctance there) - the tank is too small for me to feel comfortable suggesting a wrasse (and the only ones that could potentially work for a tank that size tend to be pretty costly).

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard, I think the Blue Velvet Nudibranch, Chelidonura varians (which is actually a Cephalaspidean/Headshield Slug, not a Nudibranch), would likely take care of the issue very quickly - my concern would be rehoming it afterward, as it will likely starve to death once it gets rid of the flatworms.

That said, if you have somewhere you can for sure rehome them after, then I'd say go for it and let us know how it goes. Otherwise, you can manually remove any flatworms you see or go the chemical route (but I understand the reluctance there) - the tank is too small for me to feel comfortable suggesting a wrasse (and the only ones that could potentially work for a tank that size tend to be pretty costly).
thanks for clarifying, I always read that they were nudibranchs!
I just saw them in my lfs and thought it would be a good idea, that said I might consider it, but I’ll probably return it to the lfs or make a fb post.
But for now I’ll try to get rid of them manually, if it keeps up for let’s say, a month then I’ll get the velvet slug.
But thanks for the info again and glad it’s not harmful(at least not yet)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back