Flatworm ID?

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I found this little creature crawling on my glass at night, and I believe they’re flatworms. Can anyone help ID this? Or at least tell if they’re harmful or not?
It looks transparent/white with black dots on them. Doesn’t look like brown flatworm unless it’s a baby.

IMG_9235.jpeg
IMG_9232.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they’re flatworms. Can anyone help ID this? Or at least tell if they’re harmful or not?
It looks transparent/white with black dots on them. Doesn’t look like brown flatworm unless it’s a baby.
Yeah, that seems to be a flatworm - as a general rule, flatworms are harmful (or neutral at best), so removal is suggested.

If you want a more specific ID, you may need to get a closer up pic of it against a black background under moderately bright white lighting.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, that seems to be a flatworm - as a general rule, flatworms are harmful (or neutral at best), so removal is suggested.

If you want a more specific ID, you may need to get a closer up pic of it against a black background under moderately bright white lighting.
So far, I haven’t found it on my corals, and I dip all corals. Do you recommend flatworm exit or just add predator fishes? I have yellow coris wrasse in the tank but it always surfs on top of the water, not patrolling the rock

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I haven’t found it on my corals, and I dip all corals. Do you recommend flatworm exit or just add predator fishes? I have yellow coris wrasse in the tank but it always surfs on top of the water, not patrolling the rock
It may be an invert-predatory species rather than a coral-parasitic one; regardless, if you're not having any major issues with it at the moment, I'd personally keep a close eye on your corals, remove any ones you see, and (if you can responsibly do so) add a predatory fish.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It may be an invert-predatory species rather than a coral-parasitic one; regardless, if you're not having any major issues with it at the moment, I'd personally keep a close eye on your corals, remove any ones you see, and (if you can responsibly do so) add a predatory fish.
What’s your recommendation for fish for bare bottom? I will soon be removing sands and go bare bottom. Six line seems to be a good one, but I heard that it’s a hit or miss.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your recommendation for fish for bare bottom? I will soon be removing sands and go bare bottom. Six line seems to be a good one, but I heard that it’s a hit or miss.
How big is your tank? A Sixline or similar would be my first thought, but @i cant think or @Slocke may have other ideas for you.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pink streak is rarer but a far more peaceful option. Fairy and flasher wrasse are fine bare bottom but aren’t really pest eaters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back