Two Little Fishies Veggiemag Clip – Rusted Magnet and Shake Test

RelaxingWithTheReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With thousands of great reviews, I purchased Veggiemag Clip by Two Little Fishies from Amazon a couple years ago, and just noticed some rust stains on the side of the body. When I opened it up with a small flat screwdriver, it revealed a severely rusted magnet.

Clip1.jpg

Clip2.jpg

Unfortunately it appears there was no attempt to seal the magnet, and the water can easily work its way in.

1. Is this rusty material likely to be harmful to an Acropora tank?
2. ICP tests have not picked up any elevated metals. Can toxic materials be released from the magnet that escape ICP detection?
3. Is there test that can detect these potential toxins?
4. What is the preferred media to absorb any possible released toxins?

I was curious and purchased a new clip to see if the design had improved, and unfortunately it has not. It’s interesting to note the magnet in the new clip has a loose fit, and the clip rattles when you shake it. The rusted clip does not rattle.

Does your clip rattle when you shake it?

We really don’t need products like this complicating the care of our tanks, and jeopardizing the health of our animals!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rust is not good for a tank. Potentially you caught it early. When in doubt do water change.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With thousands of great reviews, I purchased Veggiemag Clip by Two Little Fishies from Amazon a couple years ago, and just noticed some rust stains on the side of the body. When I opened it up with a small flat screwdriver, it revealed a severely rusted magnet.

Clip1.jpg

Clip2.jpg

Unfortunately it appears there was no attempt to seal the magnet, and the water can easily work its way in.

1. Is this rusty material likely to be harmful to an Acropora tank?
2. ICP tests have not picked up any elevated metals. Can toxic materials be released from the magnet that escape ICP detection?
3. Is there test that can detect these potential toxins?
4. What is the preferred media to absorb any possible released toxins?

I was curious and purchased a new clip to see if the design had improved, and unfortunately it has not. It’s interesting to note the magnet in the new clip has a loose fit, and the clip rattles when you shake it. The rusted clip does not rattle.

Does your clip rattle when you shake it?

We really don’t need products like this complicating the care of our tanks, and jeopardizing the health of our animals!
Hmmm I use theses almost constantly, now this has my attention. Thank you for letting us know

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back