Ok to Mix Soda Ash with Magnetic Stirrer?

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and possibly Randy,

I just recently mixed up a batch of soda ash (BRS Pharma) for my 2 part dosing. Since I have a magnetic stirrer and large beakers, I automatically did that, without giving it much though. I mixed it for about 30 min or so until the solution went completely clear. However, next day when I went to dose some of it, I noticed the solution "crystalizing" when it hits the water in the sump... turning into floaty flake like things (not all of it, but enough to see it floating around in the sump).

I've never made or dosed Soda Ash so I was not sure if thats normal. I am familiar with other alk solutions turning cloudy/milky, but they usually stay suspended and liquid until it mixes with the water, but this turned into floaters. So I went back to the instructions and read read that BRS suggests shaking the solution for a few minutes and then leaving it alone until all of the chemical dissolves. That got me thinking whether it was OK to mix Soda Ash with a stirrer until clear or whether that much agitation would either make it break into other elements or perhaps precipitate.

Anyone can tell me if that was fine, or do I need to remix the solution with the way BRS recommends doing it. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mixing is fine, just don’t aerate it too much as that reduces the pH boost potency (but not the alk potency).

The transient precipitation is magnesium hydroxide that should redissolve if mixed in before calcium carbonate can form (which is slower).

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mixing is fine, just don’t aerate it too much as that reduces the pH boost potency (but not the alk potency).

The transient precipitation is magnesium hydroxide that should redissolve if mixed in before calcium carbonate can form (which is slower).
Thank you, Randy!

When I mixed it, I made sure it was a smooth and not turbulent flow in the mixing jar. I have been told I should make the place where I dose have more flow so that the dosed amount dissolve quicker.

I appreciate your confirmation on this!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Randy!

When I mixed it, I made sure it was a smooth and not turbulent flow in the mixing jar. I have been told I should make the place where I dose have more flow so that the dosed amount dissolve quicker.

I appreciate your confirmation on this!

You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back