Soda Ash condensation in newly mixed saltwater

esb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own saltwater using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and RODI out of a 6-stage filter. I mix it in a brute trash can with a powerhead dropped in. I also add Soda Ash after the sal is fully mixed to bring the alkalinity up from the 7 that the salt mixes to to ~9.5. The Soda ash is BRS Bulk Pharma mixed with RODI in a 1 gallon container.

I just started having a problem where some time after adding the Soda Ash, there is a visible white "crust" on most surfaces in the brute can including the power head and cord. This first happened last week and when I noticed it, I thought I had maybe added the Soda Ash too quickly. Out of an abundance of caution, I discarded that batch and scrubbed the trash can. I made up a new batch of saltwater and confirmed it was completely clear once reaching the target salinity of 1.026. I then very slowly added the Soda Ash (liquid) directly into the powerhead. I could see the brief burst of mist-type condensation, but it immediately dissipated after each small addition. Once complete, the water was very clear. After letting it sit overnight, the condensation is back and the water is no longer clear.

IMG_5875 (1).jpeg

Note that the white along the top ridge under the water, on the cord and on the inner sides of the brute is not from bubbles. It is the new condensation that appeared after adding the Soda Ash.

Is it possible for a Soda Ash mixture to go bad / change chemically ? It was originally mixed probably 8-10 months ago. Also, I am due for a change of the mixed DI resin in one of the two filter canisters as 2nd canister has started to change color. Is it possible that could be a factor?

Should I discard this water too? I don't want to take any chances. At this point I can mix a new batch after changing the DI resin and just skip adding Soda Ash for the moment (this will only replace ~15% of the water in the tank and only have a couple of corals in the tank at the moment).

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple things. That’s precipitation. Not a big deal. The water is fine to be used.

Sodium bicarbonate is better IMO for this when you want to raise alkalinity of new water.

If you want to run alkalinity higher, change salts to one that has higher alkalinity to begin with

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that baking soda is the best thing to use, not sodium carbonate/ washing soda/soda ash for raising alk in new salt water. You do not want to push up the pH of new salt water.

Raw salt water is much more prone to precipitation than is reef tank water where organics, phosphate and whole bacteria get onto newly forming calcium carbonate surfaces, reducing ongoing precipitation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back