Care magnet strong+ 3d print file for better blade clip?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got my first tunze care magnet strong+ a couple weeks ago. No matter what I do, or how careful I am, the little plastic clip that holds the stainless blade works itself loose and the blade moves. Not bashing on tunze here, but it seems like theres room for improvement. Has anyone created an upgraded 3d print file for this yet? If not I’ll try to come up with something but it’s very difficult with my lack of vision and the fact that fusion 360 doesn’t work with a screen reader. I’m hoping for the easy way out here and I can just download and print someone else’s handy work! Even if it’s not a press/fiction fit, threaded might be better. I mean, how often does one need to change blades anyway?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, is the blade clip you have blue or is it black? For whatever reason I have seen some very old stock Care Magnets surface on Amazon, the clip has been black since 2021 and the black plastic is a much stronger stiffer plastic than the old blue plastic was.

This really should not be an issue with the black plastic, it is possible the part is bent, it is also possible the plastic blade is bent and these are both more probable when a magnet is grossly oversized for the glass thickness, on 3/4" a Strong+ should be fine, but on anything thinner the blades and clips will wear and deflect quickly. These parts all wear and that is why the clip comes with blade set 0220.154, it is equally probable the blade is warped as the clip but given reasonable use on one tank with at least 3/4" I would expect a minimum of 6 months use.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, is the blade clip you have blue or is it black? For whatever reason I have seen some very old stock Care Magnets surface on Amazon, the clip has been black since 2021 and the black plastic is a much stronger stiffer plastic than the old blue plastic was.

This really should not be an issue with the black plastic, it is possible the part is bent, it is also possible the plastic blade is bent and these are both more probable when a magnet is grossly oversized for the glass thickness, on 3/4" a Strong+ should be fine, but on anything thinner the blades and clips will wear and deflect quickly. These parts all wear and that is why the clip comes with blade set 0220.154, it is equally probable the blade is warped as the clip but given reasonable use on one tank with at least 3/4" I would expect a minimum of 6 months use.
Ah, so the clip is black. The glass is 3/4”, I had originally ordered a strong magnet but it was not strong enough and would separate and float away. I exchanged it for the strong plus. I just got it on the 14th of this month and have only used it twice. I’m severely visually impaired so I can’t exactly tell what’s going on but it really feels like the tabs at the ends of the clip aren’t fully seating/engaging outside of the holes on the plastic adaptor. That could just be me expecting to feel a positive click though. It just loosens enough for the metal blade to **** over so that most of the contact with the glass is with the plastic blade. I have to pull the cleaner out and reseat the blade and clip about halfway through cleaning the front pane on a six foot long tank. Cleaner works great other than this.
IMG_0685.jpeg
IMG_0686.jpeg
IMG_0687.jpeg

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got my first tunze care magnet strong+ a couple weeks ago. No matter what I do, or how careful I am, the little plastic clip that holds the stainless blade works itself loose and the blade moves. Not bashing on tunze here, but it seems like theres room for improvement. Has anyone created an upgraded 3d print file for this yet? If not I’ll try to come up with something but it’s very difficult with my lack of vision and the fact that fusion 360 doesn’t work with a screen reader. I’m hoping for the easy way out here and I can just download and print someone else’s handy work! Even if it’s not a press/fiction fit, threaded might be better. I mean, how often does one need to change blades anyway?
I replaced the black clip with some acrylic nuts & bolts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back