Tunze care magnet strong (too weak for 3/4”) any tips or do I need to return it?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3/4” thick glass tank and have been using a flipper max for four years now without issue. I felt like it was time to replace the flipper as I feel the exterior pad wearing thin, although I could use a microfiber cloth I guess. I’ve read a ton of rave reviews of the tunze care magnet strong, with more than a few using the strong on the same tank I have (RS 750xxl) I was going to order the strong + just to be overkill while on sale a couple weeks ago but they were (and still are) out of stock everywhere so I settled for the strong. I’m thinking all the rave reviews with 3/4” thick tanks may have been before they added the styrofoam float. I’m finding that the Tunze strong is just way too weak. If I use it near the flow from a powerhead the scraper separates and floats away. If I move the scraper back and forth more than a snails pace, the scraper separates and floats away. I’m also finding the plastic clip that holds the stainless blade becomes loose very easily. I click it together, and physically feel the click as well as physically verify the clip and blade to be be tight, but after cleaning half a panel the blade becomes loosel not enough to come undone, but enough that the plastic blade holder makes contact with the glass not the metal blade. With that, are there any tricks I need to be aware of that make make this scraper usable? I could try to remove the styrofoam float, but that is kinda a selling point and necessity. Or, should I just try and exchange it for a strong + when they become available again? I just got it a couple days ago from one of my fav vendors Marine and Reef.

@MarineandReef Jaron

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had a similar disappointment with the Tunze. It jusr wasn't all it was made out to be. I still have it, but I had to move it to my FW tank with 8 mm glass instead of the 12 mm i have on my Cade.

I ended up buying an Algaefree Hammerhead instead and my oh my is it the bee's knees! Those scrapers are just amazing and looks fantastic on your glass as well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the largest Tunze and it handles the thick glass with no issues. Which one did you get? I think that I have the .025 one. They have stupid numbers - maybe they make sense in German.

Edit: it is the best glass scraper that I have ever had.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying an Algaefree Hammerhead instead and my oh my is it the bee's knees! Those scrapers are just amazing and looks fantastic on your glass as well.
I have one of those. I use it on 1/2" glass and it's good forearm workout.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3/4” thick glass tank and have been using a flipper max for four years now without issue. I felt like it was time to replace the flipper as I feel the exterior pad wearing thin, although I could use a microfiber cloth I guess. I’ve read a ton of rave reviews of the tunze care magnet strong, with more than a few using the strong on the same tank I have (RS 750xxl) I was going to order the strong + just to be overkill while on sale a couple weeks ago but they were (and still are) out of stock everywhere so I settled for the strong. I’m thinking all the rave reviews with 3/4” thick tanks may have been before they added the styrofoam float. I’m finding that the Tunze strong is just way too weak. If I use it near the flow from a powerhead the scraper separates and floats away. If I move the scraper back and forth more than a snails pace, the scraper separates and floats away. I’m also finding the plastic clip that holds the stainless blade becomes loose very easily. I click it together, and physically feel the click as well as physically verify the clip and blade to be be tight, but after cleaning half a panel the blade becomes loosel not enough to come undone, but enough that the plastic blade holder makes contact with the glass not the metal blade. With that, are there any tricks I need to be aware of that make make this scraper usable? I could try to remove the styrofoam float, but that is kinda a selling point and necessity. Or, should I just try and exchange it for a strong + when they become available again? I just got it a couple days ago from one of my fav vendors Marine and Reef.

@MarineandReef Jaron
Pmd you. I generally find you need to go up one size with most magnet cleaners. The one exception is Algae Free which is more realistic in their glass thickness recommendations.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the largest Tunze and it handles the thick glass with no issues. Which one did you get? I think that I have the .025 one. They have stupid numbers - maybe they make sense in German.

Edit: it is the best glass scraper that I have ever had.
That has definitely been the general consensus. The biggest is the strong +, I got the strong which is rated for up to 3/4 and there are plenty of rave reviews for that model on 3/4 glass. Hopefully the strong + will be available again soon or I’ll look into the algae free people are talking about.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah, the strong + is definitely needed for 3/4 glass. @MarineandReef Jaron made the return/exchange process super simple and lightning fast! I received the strong + yesterday and it works perfectly. I never return/exchange products, so this was a first for me. Thanks for the help Jaron! I will say that even with the stronger magnets on the plus, that the feeling is much different than the flipper max. The max takes some effort and has much more friction whereas the tunze glides effortlessly. It’s a much different feeling but seems to clean just as well.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use the floaties. I find them unwieldy. Just drive carefully.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do for 3/4 inch glass
Get the tunze +
Or the tiger shark for 3/4" ...or the great white up to 1"

Presently using flipper max

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is plenty firm for me. AlgaeFree is the only magnet with realistic ratings. There certainly is nothing wrong with spending more money on the larger magnet but I am happy with the tiger shark. I have a flipper max as well and the Tiger Shark is far stronger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back