Icp showing elevated Fe and Al levels

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have another thread in the equipment section going about this issue.

But, I figured I would post separately here, as I was hoping to get a better understanding of how big of a problem this actually is. And whether I am going to be able to dose all for reef to the tank.

As the title stated, I sent out an icp to triton and results show “slightly elevated” levels of iron and “low levels” of aluminum.

Results as follows:
Fe setpoint: 0.0 micrograms/L
Fe detected: 5.0 micrograms/L
Al setpoint: 0-60.0 micrograms/L
AL detected: 55.0 micrograms/L

First question, are these levels indicative of rusting equipment? Or are they not actually all that high?

I see no obvious signs of rust, though when running a magnet through the sand I was pulling out black flakes that looked a bit like carbon. And a few small white clumps that looked like sand but felt like chips of ceramic. Mostly the black pieces.

Secondly, with these “slightly elevated” readings of Fe, would the Fe present in all for reef cause any issues?

I would like to start dosing this product but if I need to wait until these levels come back down after locating the problem. I do not mind waiting.

Any information or advice is most welcome. Thanks for the read!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those is a concern, IMO.

Red Sea actually recommends 100 ug/L. IMO, this is a huge overkill, but it shows elevated iron is not an issue.

in my tests, higher aluminum is needed to cause an issue.

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a long moment of worry but then I realized that since this was my first icp test, these values were arbitrary without understanding what would be considered reasonable values. So I am glad I checked.

Thanks for the response and merry Christmas! Happy holidays!

TMallan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey LLJ, have you continued to use ICP tests on your tank and what have your Fe levels been? I am having, what I think is, an Fe issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey LLJ, have you continued to use ICP tests on your tank and what have your Fe levels been? I am having, what I think is, an Fe issue.

That would be unusual. What value do you see reported?

Some tanks dose very high Fe for various reasons. Red Sea recommends 100 ug/L, although that seems excessive to me.

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there TMallan,

I did not run another test. My intent at the time was to do them every 3 months, but I have decided to take a more hands(wallet) off approach and might do them twice per year. Maybe sticking with just one a year though.

That being said, I posted because when I first got the results back in I was shocked to see these metal values.

So, 5micrograms/L seemed excessive at first. Immediately I assumed my jeboa wave pump which was about 2 years old was rusting. (It was not). I realized that I was worried about it, without knowing what the iron level would be if the pump was actually rusting.

Did 5micrograms/L mean the pump was rusting? Or is it more likely that I would be seeing something like 200micrograms/L if there was truly a piece of equipment failing.

And Randy is kinda the man when it comes to chemistry questions ‘round these parts. So when he said he would not be concerned I pretty much quit worrying about it.

Mostly because he confirmed what I was beginning to suspect myself. That these values being “slightly elevated” as was said in the icp test, did not indicate any actual problems. And their values were based on a perfect ideal scenario, but in reality it’s okay to see some fluctuation and elevation. Of most of these values.

4 months later, I can confirm the tank looks great and it appears that I was worried for nothing. Also that Randy was correct in his assessment.

So definitely let us know what values you are seeing but I wouldn’t worry too much, especially if it’s under 100micrograms/L as Randy was saying.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back