I think I have a Whelk

Duane Clark

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
250
Reaction score
305
Location
Mobile AL
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a Nassarius snail but it has a darker shell, very long "nose" and a green outline on his foot and I have never seen him in the sand. It must have come in on the live rockwhen I set up 3 months ago. I noticed him about 1 1/2 months ago when he was smaller and figured he was a snail. He is nocturnal and hides in the exact same spot each day or if he does move he stays in the shadows. He is getting bigger now but so far I have not noticed him hunting any of my other nails. Its hard to get a clear pic of him or I would include. I guess my question is...should he come out? since I don't notice any missing snails (Although I have a lot so not sure I would miss them) is there any benefit to keeping him? I hate killing stuff.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new