I think I have two male mandarins... Now what?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them both as babies... I know I was rolling the dice, but it seems as if they're both males because they do dart at each other, but it never lasts more than like 2 seconds and they go on their way. We have a 220g. Is this going to get progressively worse as they grow?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really? If I add two females they should be good? One is a blue mandarin and one is a green spotted.
Oh that makes it even more interesting and easier for them to pair. And a better chance they will leave each other alone long term.

Those 2 won't ever pair together even if they were opposite sex.

From what we have researched Spotted only pair with spotted and physcadelic or green/red manderins pair with other green/red. We have a matted pair of each :)

So you should be in an even better place to add a female of each!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200225_192718.jpg

Female, front dorsal fin is small.
IMG_20200225_192547.jpg

The other female who is bigger.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that makes it even more interesting and easier for them to pair. And a better chance they will leave each other alone long term.

Those 2 won't ever pair together even if they were opposite sex.

From what we have researched Spotted only pair with spotted and physcadelic or green/red manderins pair with other green/red. We have a matted pair of each :)

So you should be in an even better place to add a female of each!

I was hoping to get one female and one male when they were babies. Not to pair, just to have one of each. I guess now I might have 4. lol

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both those pics look like blue psychedelic females. Here's my green mandarin for comparison he's a male.
As far as getting along is hit and miss ime you may be ok with two pairs but they are extremely territorial fish so the large one is likey to beat the small one or corner it to the point it can't come out to eat eat.

MVIMG_20200703_145726.jpg

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? If I add two females they should be good? One is a blue mandarin and one is a green spotted.
Don’t know :(I got a 720 and I’ve seen females kill females and males kill males. they Are surprisingly aggressive amongst them when they are same sex. Since they aren’t engaging I think your in luck. Mines have been non stop attacks. I now have a pair that is huge and fat. Wouldn’t add a green spotted as much as I’d like to.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both those pics look like blue psychedelic females. Here's my green mandarin for comparison he's a male.
As far as getting along is hit and miss ime you may be ok with two pairs but they are extremely territorial fish so the large one is likey to beat the small one or corner it to the point it can't come out to eat eat.

Yes both of those are females even said so, I currently have 3 blue mandrins in the aquarium, 1 male and 2 females. None of them fight they went in together as a harem. In the ocean,1 male will spawn with all females in his territory.

I haven't been able to get a picture of my big male yet. But I will when he is in a spot to get a good picture.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know :(I got a 720 and I’ve seen females kill females and males kill males. they Are surprisingly aggressive amongst them when they are same sex. Since they aren’t engaging I think your in luck. Mines have been non stop attacks. I now have a pair that is huge and fat. Wouldn’t add a green spotted as much as I’d like to.

I guess I should leave better enough alone for now. They really do just ignore each other until they're in the same spot at the same time. Then they fight for a second or two and move on.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes both of those are females even said so, I currently have 3 blue mandrins in the aquarium, 1 male and 2 females. None of them fight they went in together as a harem. In the ocean,1 male will spawn with all females in his territory.

I haven't been able to get a picture of my big male yet. But I will when he is in a spot to get a good picture.
Lol ok no offense ment, it's just the title and original post state two males not two females, the difference is slight but ime you have a better chance of two females cohabitating than two males.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back