Odd personality quirks or habits in fish?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thought I'd start up an interesting thread based on some observations I've been making in my own tank.

I have a Male / Female Royal Gramma pair that have separate 'lairs' on each side of the tank. Over the last month or so, I've noticed the male grabbing various things around the tank and bringing them into his lair. I've seen him go into the female's lair and grab an Asterina starfish....and bring it back to his lair. He will grab various rocks, shells and pieces of macro algae and dump them in his lair. It's as if he's a little hoarder or something.

Another fun observation is that my solo Fathead Anthias has befriended my baby Mandarin pair. She will swim down to the sand bed and sit with them while they poke around for pods, or dart over to them if they decide to swim up into the water column. It seems a bit one sided, as the Mandarins appear oblivious to her, hah.

I find both of these quirks to be so fun to observe and really make me curious about what's going on inside the minds of these fish. So I ask, does anyone else have fun or odd personality quirks amongst their fish?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thought I'd start up an interesting thread based on some observations I've been making in my own tank.

I have a Male / Female Royal Gramma pair that have separate 'lairs' on each side of the tank. Over the last month or so, I've noticed the male grabbing various things around the tank and bringing them into his lair. I've seen him go into the female's lair and grab an Asterina starfish....and bring it back to his lair. He will grab various rocks, shells and pieces of macro algae and dump them in his lair. It's as if he's a little hoarder or something.

Another fun observation is that my solo Fathead Anthias has befriended my baby Mandarin pair. She will swim down to the sand bed and sit with them while they poke around for pods, or dart over to them if they decide to swim up into the water column. It seems a bit one sided, as the Mandarins appear oblivious to her, hah.

I find both of these quirks to be so fun to observe and really make me curious about what's going on inside the minds of these fish. So I ask, does anyone else have fun or odd personality quirks amongst their fish?
when my fish are hungry (i.e near feeding time) they follow my yellow tang around the tank, forming a little school with him as the leader. This includes 2 clowns, coral beauty angel, sixline wrasse and black molly. It's like they think he is the best food forager, or something.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pity the poor snail or hermit crab that gets to close to the diamond watchman goby’s den. They get a quick ride across the tank and causing a click, they get spit out against the glass. Happens so fast I wish I could get a video.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back