I think i stuffed up cycle

Aa99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I started up a 30 gallon and i cycled with food and it finished cycling after 4 weeks.

I did a water change and stuff and now im worried i messed up. For some reason i am getting an ammonia reading of 0.50ppm even tho nitrites, nitrates etc are 0. Its like the cycle is starting again. Im not sure what to do?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!! When you started your cycle adding food did you also add any bacteria source?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API ammonia test? Likely a false positive. A work around is to take note of your current measurement. Spike in enough ammonia to register a noticeable change in the ammonia test, wait a day, then retest and see if it dropped back down to your original level.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

And you might have gotten a false reading. Check back in a day or few hours later. I’ve had it do the same and a few hours later it was back to zero. If not, you will need to wait again for all to go back to zero. And let it stay that way a few days before you do a water change. Don’t rush into things and be patient with it.

OP
OP
A

Aa99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API ammonia test? Likely a false positive. A work around is to take note of your current measurement. Spike in enough ammonia to register a noticeable change in the ammonia test, wait a day, then retest and see if it dropped back down to your original level.
Yes API. Thanks, i will test again tonight.

OP
OP
A

Aa99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

And you might have gotten a false reading. Check back in a day or few hours later. I’ve had it do the same and a few hours later it was back to zero. If not, you will need to wait again for all to go back to zero. And let it stay that way a few days before you do a water change. Don’t rush into things and be patient with it.
Thanks man, ill keep u updated

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said, API almost always shows a small amount of ammonia. I started testing with Salifert instead

OP
OP
A

Aa99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tested again 5 mins ago and ammonia is still 0.50ppm, should i wait a few more days and see what happens or do u think it will just keep showing ammonia since API test kits show ammonia regardless?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
change your water, add something. per this thread:

the thread explains why you are cycled, start clean. don't fret over the wastewater any longer, change it all out for new + begin lightly.

reasons your post matches the params from that thread:

-met timeframe on cycling chart for controlling ammonia
-using API explains the measures posted, the holding above zero
-used food and known inoculation source

I would be concerned if your tank didn't have live rock and live sand to attach to, but most cyclers are all set there

we dont want that thread above to look like any old tank can be made ready, its that we collect folks who keep meeting those recurring parameters over and over.

you can also clearly define if the cycle is stuck using that method, the third pic will look like the second one if a cycle is stuck.

third ammonia pic looks like the first taken of the set, in all reefs tested, so far no cycle sticks I've seen.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back