I think it is a JBJ? Can it be drilled?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this 28g tank yesterday and I am thinking of removing the rear sump section and drilling the tank for a sump below. I think it is a JBJ tank but I'm not sure. Can it be drilled? Is it worth messing with or should I just leave it be?

d2f372d2.jpg

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth messing with it depends on what you dished out for it $$$ wise, LOL. I say try it, if you have drilled before, it will be easy enough, if not, it is still quite simple. Those AIO units do not do as much as a sump can IME.

xXxSpyderxXx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use to have that tank, loved it like it was. i would suggest not drilling. its made of acrylic so you can drill it with a diamond bit but it does crack easy. mine cracked by listing it with like 2 inches of water and some LS in it. so if you drill use caution.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use to have that tank, loved it like it was. i would suggest not drilling. its made of acrylic so you can drill it with a diamond bit but it does crack easy. mine cracked by listing it with like 2 inches of water and some LS in it. so if you drill use caution.
they are not acrylic, but thin glass. Acrylic can be drilled with any old hole saw.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you feel comfortable drilling it then give it a shot the worst that can happen is the glass breaks. check online to see if there tempered before attempting to drill first

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine seemed acrylic? dang i was so off lol
At least you didn't try to drill it, I saw a post a while ago where someone thought it was acrylic, so he drained it half way and took a hole saw to it. Let's just say the post was in a local forum inquiring if anyone could hold some livestock for him.

xXxSpyderxXx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you didn't try to drill it, I saw a post a while ago where someone thought it was acrylic, so he drained it half way and took a hole saw to it. Let's just say the post was in a local forum inquiring if anyone could hold some livestock for him.

wow dang that stinks. glad i never tried to drill it. but if its a AIO why change that.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm glad you never attempted to drill. That would not have been good

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. I'm pretty sure it's a 24gallon aquapod. This is based purely off of the overflow, JBJ's have a different overflow, while my 24 gallon aquapod has that exact same overflow. I am pretty sure the back section is a really hard plastic, so it should be able to be drilled.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 102 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back