I think my anenome is dying white stuff is coming from its mouth and its turning brown

iAmARomeoSF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO I NEED TO REMOVE IT FROM MY TANK BEFORE IT DIES COMPLETELY.... IS MY TANK GOING TO CRASH COMPLETELY? HELP PLEASE SEE PHOTOS.
I PURCHASED IT EARLIER TODAY I ACCLIMATED IT FOR NEARLY 45MIN... SEEMED FINE AT FIRST BUT NOW COLOR IS TURNING AND ITS DROOPING DRAMATICALLY.

20200211_033725.jpg 20200211_033744.jpg 20200211_034224.jpg

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only bought it today? leave it alone and see how it behaves... Anemones can change appearance from inflated and bubbly to deflated and spaghetti looking in a couple of minutes. My guess is it is just getting used to your tank. They tend to look bad immediately after feeding aswell.

give it some time and if you can see it is definitely dying the next couple of days, take it out of the tank. It doesn’t look that bad tbh.

Is this your first anemone? Did you cover the powerheads?

OP
OP
I

iAmARomeoSF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only bought it today? leave it alone and see how it behaves... Anemones can change appearance from inflated and bubbly to deflated and spaghetti looking in a couple of minutes. My guess is it is just getting used to your tank. They tend to look bad immediately after feeding aswell.

give it some time and if you can see it is definitely dying the next couple of days, take it out of the tank. It doesn’t look that bad tbh.

Is this your first anemone? Did you cover the powerheads?
cover the power heads? ok you already lost me there... what about it spitting up its insides? the white stringy stuff thats coming from its center/mouth?... also when i got it was definitely pink and green and only half of this guy responds to touch and/or lighting changes...

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover the powerheads, so it can’t go up there and get ripped appart killing your tank :p the white stuff can also be the anemone vomiting a piece of food that it got in the store. They can be quite weird being introduced to a new tank. Maybe you could put it in your QT to make sure if it is dying it doesn’t nuke your tank.

Hoz long has the tank been running for?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.
That’s either sick when bought (which is very common) or water seriously out of wack.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! Must have been sick before you bought it if your water is fine...

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly 90% of the anemones I see at my LFS are doomed before you buy them. Look for tank raised. The successful ones I have had were sold to the LFS by a local person who had it split in their tank. I sold a dozen this way and got mine the same way.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant tell particularly what type that is pictured because it just too close up. Not sure how well this is known but I see people in LRS's loving the "Pretty white one" (Seabae). Pearly white seabae are not healthy seabae... The turning white is an indication of stress, low light or just plain starving to death. If you buy a Seabae and it is white but turns a brownish to green color congratulations.... You have a "happy" healthy anemone.
The Seabae in the picture below I purchased 2 years ago and was pearly white... I thought I would be able to save it and did successfully but required immediate steps and had some tense days.
Anyhow, this is a representation of what a Saebae "should" look like. Greenish to a tan color.
IMG_20200210_183958~2.jpg

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back