I think my clowns have brook

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 11 days since I moved my new clowns from the QT to the DT after a long fallow. I fear they have tracked brook in with them. It must have slipped past inspection in the QT tank (I observed, but didn’t want to stress them out with all sorts of meds. I realize my mistake). Slowly I’ve noticed scales peeling off the head and the lateral line getting very noticeable (looks like HLLE, possible secondary infection), but today I’ve noticed a slightly white patch around the gills. The fish are still swimming, eating, and show complete signs of health (though they started flashing occasionally). However, I once ignored possible symptoms for disease (and paid the price), and I refuse to do so again. I want to act fast. I do not know how long they have before this tiny white spot by the gill becomes certain death. All I know is I’ve seen this before and a few days later lost my fish. So I have to unfortunately take them out and keep them in QT for six weeks. This is where I need help. I don’t know what to treat, so want to cover all bases. I have the following medications: PraziPro (probably good for HLLE), seachem cupramine (with copper test kit), and API super ich cure (not helpful in this case, but worth mentioning). I am a total novice in this whole treatment thing and could really use your help to form an immediate medication plan.

I also am wondering if my QT tank is still okay. It has been running with the heater and filter without fish for almost two weeks. It was dosed with dr tims bacteria in the beginning, though I am unsure if the bacteria died after I moved the fish out. Is it safe to put the clowns back in? I feel like I don’t have time at all to order more and wait (same goes for new meds).

I really want to do everything right. I don’t want to fail these fish, and I truly think preemptively moving them is the best course of action. Thanks in advance for your help.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics would greatly help in figuring this out. Brook and HLLE look like totally different things.

1. PraziPro is for flukes, worms, etc... it won't help with HLLE.

2. Your quarantine tank is fine and already loaded with bacteria. The bacteria don't die that quickly. If it's not HLLE, then I'd get this fish back into quarantine.

3. This meds aren't going to do anything to Brooklynella, if that's what is occurring.

Again, post some pics and your tank's testing parameters so others can also help.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters aren’t worth posting besides the pH at around 8.2 and salinity 1.024. I use API so cant get anything close to accurate. My only assurance can be that every coral and invert is healthy. There may some ammonia though, if it is HLLE. This is a picture towards the beginning. Note the peeling scales and clear lateral line:
282958B1-4AC1-41D3-9D42-95E6C43CF9EF.jpeg

Then a large fungus formed, but went away. It was likely lympho. It is on the first white band:
39E42B9B-94BA-4F70-850E-2A08F1818957.jpeg

Today, the fish itself looks better. However, there is now white patches by the gills. I have experienced brook before, and it wasn’t much like this (though that clown also had the peeling scales, likely also HLLE. It was from Petco, so it probably had every disease imaginable.) However, each fish is different, so I cannot rule it out. Here is a pic of the white patches:
B6971C70-3848-4B2F-8B64-FF62ACFBF7AA.jpeg

This photo was from yesterday. They’re more flaky and prominent today. I just did a water change so water is cloudy. It may be difficult to get a photograph.

I would be surprised if it has brook. I’ve been fallow for 90 days and the fish are captive bred and quarantined at the store. The big thing to me is that the condition isn’t worse, but it certainly isn’t better either. I simply fear that by doing nothing, they will die. They still eat, swim, and breath okay. They do fight, so battle scars are also an option. My other clown is pretty spotless too.

I could just be paranoid, but hopefully posting these pictures is of some help.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the white area is peeling as I write this.
9E2E94B7-DE16-454E-B57A-733A33D98AD1.jpeg
Could it be some mucous, as some kind of reaction to something? Or is it related to the fungus/lympho it had on its head?

One thing I forgot to mention is that the poop is white and stringy, another symptom of HLLE. I’m nervous about brook only because I’ve dealt with it before and it is a nightmare. I really want to do everything right by these new guys. I want to start fresh with these new clowns, and not make my past mistakes.

Is HLLE a common thing on stressed clowns? It pretty much appeared as soon as I put him from the QT to the DT.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump—advice? Though I’ve had my experience with plenty, I’m still new to many SW diseases and really need an ID on what the heck is going on!!

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump—advice? Though I’ve had my experience with plenty, I’m still new to many SW diseases and really need an ID on what the heck is going on!!
Hlle is caused normally by water conditions and diet. High nitrate is a cause. What’s your nitrate at? Hard to say with api test kits

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back