I think my foxface has internal parasites

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my fox face has white stringy poop just hanging out with a chunk at the end. Is this internal parasites? He only eats nori and seems healthy although may be on the thinner side I’m not sure. I have a 75 gal 4 foot if that helps
IMG_3484.jpeg
IMG_3488.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed my fox face has white stringy poop just hanging out with a chunk at the end. Is this internal parasites? He only eats nori and seems healthy although may be on the thinner side I’m not sure. I have a 75 gal 4 foot if that helps
IMG_3484.jpeg
IMG_3488.jpeg
need better pics under pure white lighting. The fish appears somewhat thin and if its getting nori only, its not a proper or complete diet. Is the fish fed any other foods such as Mysis shrimp?
Often this can be due to excess mucus in the stomach lining.
The hepatus tang in pic also looks thin

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface had some kind of parasite (white stringy poop, swimming strangely scratching on rocks). I never went ahead with Prazi treatment (was worried about nuking the tank) and it eventually went away. He eats like a pig - mysis, pellets and nori. Not sure if this is helpful but thought i'd share my experience.

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need better pics under pure white lighting. The fish appears somewhat thin and if its getting nori only, its not a proper or complete diet. Is the fish fed any other foods such as Mysis shrimp?
The hepatus tang in pic also looks thin
Every time I try to feed my fox face meaty foods with a turkey blaster it runs away and hides. So it’s not eating anything meaty. Also I just added the blue tang to my tank 2 days ago so it’s not used to eating nori on a clip but it occasionally grazes on algae and eats tiny chunks of meaty foods. It also has great coloration and is still a baby (1 inch) so that may be why it’s thin.

How do I get my fox face to start eating frozen foods and how can I tell if it’s parasites or mucus?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Every time I try to feed my fox face meaty foods with a turkey blaster it runs away and hides. So it’s not eating anything meaty. Also I just added the blue tang to my tank 2 days ago so it’s not used to eating nori on a clip but it occasionally grazes on algae and eats tiny chunks of meaty foods. It also has great coloration and is still a baby (1 inch) so that may be why it’s thin.

How do I get my fox face to start eating frozen foods and how can I tell if it’s parasites or mucus?
Hippo tangs rarely if ever touch nori. Foxface - when you say meaty foods- what foods?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen mysis shrimp. If blue tang doesn’t eat nori what veggie food do I feed it?

+1, you need to get that foxface eating foods with higher fat and protein in it. Try small pellets perhaps, or masstick. You may just be scaring it off with the baster. Try adding some food and then move to the far side of the room to watch it.

Jay

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3484.jpeg
IMG_3488.jpeg
Was it quarantined?

I think you should slow down a bit.
For a month old tank you have some decent size fish in there.
At this stage, a month in between adding a fish is better. And quarantine each one, even to watch for a few weeks, so as you don't add any disease is better.

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hepatus tang in pic also looks t
My foxface had some kind of parasite (white stringy poop, swimming strangely scratching on rocks). I never went ahead with Prazi treatment (was worried about nuking the tank) and it eventually went away. He eats like a pig - mysis, pellets and nori. Not sure if this is helpful but thought i'd share my experience.
Was it quarantined?

I think you should slow down a bit.
For a month old tank you have some decent size fish in there.
At this stage, a month in between adding a fish is better. And quarantine each one, even to watch for a few weeks, so as you don't add any disease is better.
I don’t have a quarantine system right now but I make sure to add fish that look healthy and from reputable fish stores in my area. I added fish every week because everytime I add a new fish I buy a piece of live rock to supplement bacteria. I also cycled my tank with a few cups of live ocean sand from my old aquarium and a piece of hati ocean live rock so I can add bio diversity to my tank. I have 2 clownfish, 1 blood shrimp, 1 fox face, and 1 blue tang. I’ll definitely add livestock slower now but that’s why I added so many fish quickly

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, you need to get that foxface eating foods with higher fat and protein in it. Try small pellets perhaps, or masstick. You may just be scaring it off with the baster. Try adding some food and then move to the far side of the room to watch it.

Jay

alright I’ll buy meaty pellets and see how it goes.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t have a quarantine system right now but I make sure to add fish that look healthy and from reputable fish stores in my area. I added fish every week because everytime I add a new fish I buy a piece of live rock to supplement bacteria. I also cycled my tank with a few cups of live ocean sand from my old aquarium and a piece of hati ocean live rock so I can add bio diversity to my tank. I have 2 clownfish, 1 blood shrimp, 1 fox face, and 1 blue tang. I’ll definitely add livestock slower now but that’s why I added so many fish quickly
Do not go by looks. Instead ask to see fish eat. Look for normal breathing, see how it interacts with other fish in the store display, skin imperfections and it should offer a challenge to be netted- not fall into net
It takes one parasite to wipe whole tank out.
Having a quarantine should be a priority and the worse occurrence will be on a Sunday night when all stores are closed and losing one fish alone will be equal to the price of a treatment tank. Losing an entire tank - You know the rest.
And I do agree - hold off with adding any more fish which is also adding a load on your tank chemistry. I have a 400g and add a fish maybe every 10-12 weeks.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought canadian misis shrimp, and soaked it in salfort as well as straight up. used a baster as well. I have two tanks. none of the fish were interested. They chow down omni omega one, and Nori 1 yellow tang, and 2 clowns. Gave up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back