I think my leather nuked all my euphyllias? Any help/advice?

OP
OP
M

mariaharris225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had high salinity like that for about 6-8 weeks once and it took out a hammer and most of an octospawn. Everything looked good until it didn't. Tested everything and like you it was good. Then I realized the "cap" I had to make for my refractometer calibration was letting the solution evaporate. For about 6-8 weeks I was running 1.028/.029. Everything else, at the time, looked fine. Mainly zoas a blasto and some mushrooms.
That's pretty close to my stocking list as well! + a couple of different softies, a fox, Duncan, and 5 bubble tips. I'm definitely going to work on bringing salinity to around .026 and bring up my calcium bit. I just don't understand how all 9 hammers and frogspawns could simultaneously close and started reacting overnight

OP
OP
M

mariaharris225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the answer, carbon. Maybe another water change may help, otherwise hope. Usually leathers take a beating before they get pizzy. Kinda shocked. Thinking small display?
I'm thinking that may have been why it was so sudden (my water volume is probably around 20-25 gallons) + I've been touching/moving it more than I probably should be. It won't stay in any rock/crevice I've wedged and/or glue it too

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it wasn't overnight, only seems like it. It took weeks at that level for mine to show distress. By the time it showed it was too late to do much. The first few months were going fine until I started chasing some numbers, things got crazy and then I got it to settle down, then my calibration mishap happened. Now I have three ways to test salinity if needed. This is also the time that I really learned to go slower, make a single change and wait and watch.

Hope you can figure it out and save some, I'd add GAC along with the Chemipure. Maybe even a dip of the euphyllia. could help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do leathers even give off any toxins or chemicals?
Leathers give off toxins known as Terpenes and are alleviated by adding ChemiPure Blue or Lab grade carbon. Suspects I have are High salinity (preffered- 1.025) under moderate light and water flow.
Additionally, the zero ammonia with nitrate raises question as while not impossible is seldom, and False readings are possible.
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
M

mariaharris225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers give off toxins known as Terpenes and are alleviated by adding ChemiPure Blue or Lab grade carbon. Suspects I have are High salinity (preffered- 1.025) under moderate light and water flow.
Additionally, the zero ammonia with nitrate raises question as while not impossible is seldom, and False readings are possible.
What test kits are you using ?
I am sorry that was another typo, I've trying to test and type at the same time.:face-with-spiral-eyes: I meant less than 20 nitrates, My system has always been really low in nitrates and phosphates. I had it tested at my lfs +double checked most parameters at home w/ hanna checkers

I could see the increase in flow being a factor tho! I had just cleaned my pump and it seems to be moving water better

OP
OP
M

mariaharris225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This photo was less than 72 hours beforehand if that gives any insight

Attachments

• IMG_6746.PNG
    IMG_6746.PNG
    686.3 KB · Views: 25

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back