I think my porcupine puffer is laying eggs!

angelaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm new here so thanks for having me.
I've had a 300 litre fish only tank for about 3 years. It's a predator tank with an emperor angel, foxface, powder blue, longhorned cowfish and a porcupine puffer. The puffer was the first fish in the tank t3 years ago and all have been in for a at least 2 years. A couple of nights ago I noticed the puffer had become very attached to the emperor. She literally sticks to his side for hrs on end and follows him everywhere. She isn't aggressive towards him, but he isn't enjoying the attention. For the past 3 nights she has had something long and stringy trailing from her cloaca (not sure that's the right word?). At first I thought it was just excrement, but on closer inspection it had little globules which I thought might be eggs. I can't seem to find much info about porcupine puffer breeding habits online and was hoping someone might be able to shed some light for me. I have attached a picture of what I think might be the eggs after they became detached. Sorry the quality isn't the best. I'm also worried that she may have prolapse (is this even possible in fish?) as she now has something protruding from the orifice. The cowfish has tried to have a nibble on it which also worries me. If she is laying eggs, should I think about introducing a male?

thumbnail_20200601_235733.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the party. I think you should look into internal parasites. Have you added any fish lately? I don't believe its eggs. Porcupine puffers are broadcast spawners based on a quick Google search. More typically parasites present like this.

Happy reefing! :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately it IS an internal parasite or similar. You can treat with PraziPro to correct issue.
What food(s) are you feeding? (hopefully not feeder fish)

These are porcupine eggs and not stringy:

1591103848720.png

OP
OP
angelaw

angelaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the party. I think you should look into internal parasites. Have you added any fish lately? I don't believe its eggs. Porcupine puffers are broadcast spawners based on a quick Google search. More typically parasites present like this.

Happy reefing! :)
Thanks for the advice. No changes to the tank for over 2 years, so I'm not sure what it is. I get my water from LFS and have just done a water change. Other than that all is the same. She is eating fine and seems quite happy, no signs of distress. The strangest thing is the way she is almost glued to the emperor. It only happens at night and continues for hours. I don't know how long because I end up going to bed before it stops. When I get up in the morning everything is back to normal. The white stuff also only happens at night when she is with him. I will look into parasites and check out the fish breeding forums.

OP
OP
angelaw

angelaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it IS an internal parasite or similar. You can treat with PraziPro to correct issue.
What food(s) are you feeding? (hopefully not feeder fish)

These are porcupine eggs and not stringy:

1591103848720.png
Thanks, that's really helpful. I couldn't find much online. She eats frozen mysis shrimp, shelled prawns, flakes, pellets and cockles. All but prawns bought from LFS. I try to give them a varied diet and something for her teeth every now and then.

OP
OP
angelaw

angelaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bacterial infection the same things happen to my freshwater flowerhorns if the temps get low they call it hex in freshwater not sure in saltwater if it's the same
Temp has been a little high rather than low for the last few days because of the great weather we've been having. Could be that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back