I think my trigger went blind

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like the title says I believe my triggerfish is blind. Only noticed it a few days ago. his eyes look normal and he seems normal, but he is just hanging out in the corner of the tank. He swam to the other side along the back of the tank, and pumped into the overflow box. when I feed he gets excited and swims around but doesnt seem to be able to see the food.

heres a vid

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She does seem to be kind of feeling her way around - I'm not sure whether anything can be done to help, but I'll send up a bat-signal for @Humblefish . . .

One thing you might try is target feeding her - ensuring that she gets some food, before everyone else snarfs it all. I have heard of reefers being able to do this with triggers - they seem a bit more intelligent and adaptable than some other fish.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Kremis

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for now I just moved her into a 10 gallon. she hasnt eaten for a few days and I dont think she will be able to get any food in my tank, the other fish are very aggressive. I have prazipro on hand and was going to try that after it settles in. didnt want to treat in my DT

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to treat him for eye flukes and even antibiotics or parasite meds in a quarantine tank, but it may be futile. I had a Harlequin Tusk that did the same thing. I treated him with no improvement, then kept him in the small tank so he could have easier access to food with no competition. I had to give him Krill because it was big enough for him to find. But it would bump off his snout and couldn't find it.

It's heartbreaking to watch. I ended up euthanizing him because I couldn't watch him starve to death.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you QT him or at least put him in your sump for now?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been stick feeding my pink tail for more than a year now. Here's my post about 2 blind fish from the same source line: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2-blind-fish.326906/
I believe it's the repeated exposure to multiple medications equalling a extended period of time. Or perhaps cyanide, which has been reported back on the scene more than you know. I had a niger go blind 25 years ago, and it was commonly known to be cyanide as the cause.

I believe it happens more than any of us know, had I not figured out it happened to my pink tail; I would have just thought the tusk went behind the rocks and died. They got fresh water dips and prazi pro in qt; there was no flukes or other observable issues in my tank. I fed the pinktail a kanaplex/focus mixed with his food to no avail; just in case it was bacterial.

I kept him in his home. a 210 fowlr. We have a routine; during feeding or when he wants to beg, he shows up in a spot that I have been able to stick feed him. He eats the best in the whole tank, nice chunks of seafood on a stick.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are his eyes bulging more than Normal ?
stray voltage by chance ?
you have a ground probe on tank ?

OP
OP
Kremis

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you QT him or at least put him in your sump for now?
hes in a QT right now.
I've been stick feeding my pink tail for more than a year now. Here's my post about 2 blind fish from the same source line: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2-blind-fish.326906/
I believe it's the repeated exposure to multiple medications equalling a extended period of time. Or perhaps cyanide, which has been reported back on the scene more than you know. I had a niger go blind 25 years ago, and it was commonly known to be cyanide as the cause.

I believe it happens more than any of us know, had I not figured out it happened to my pink tail; I would have just thought the tusk went behind the rocks and died. They got fresh water dips and prazi pro in qt; there was no flukes or other observable issues in my tank. I fed the pinktail a kanaplex/focus mixed with his food to no avail; just in case it was bacterial.

I kept him in his home. a 210 fowlr. We have a routine; during feeding or when he wants to beg, he shows up in a spot that I have been able to stick feed him. He eats the best in the whole tank, nice chunks of seafood on a stick.
Ill try this after giving him prazipro. I dont know how well he will fair though my tank is pretty high flow with lots of other aggresive fish (blue tang, tusk, sailfin tang)
are his eyes bulging more than Normal ?
stray voltage by chance ?
you have a ground probe on tank ?
his eyes look fine. you can check it out in the vid
no stray voltage that I am aware of. other fish are all fine. no ground probe

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a ground probe,,the fish looks pretty good health wise /condition...
do the eyes look very clear internally and well defined pupil of the eye?
does he dart or twitch every now and then through out the day ?

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny went blind when he got stung by my anemone in the face. I target fed him for almost a year before he stopped eating. You will just have to help the fish find the food by putting it directly in front of his face. My blenny eventually started feeding directly from the turkey baster and would lay in one spot when he sensed food in the water.

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvi clown trigger for about a year and although he is eating and growing I think he is blind. Has a hard time finding squid and chopped shrimp in front of his face but does easily eat premium red hikari sinking carnivore pellets . Several other aggressive fish in the tank , but he does manage to eat. Tank has 3 t5 ho bulbs and all fish are healthy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back