I want to build The Ark

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nervous to type this up on the risk of sounding like an an idiot.
I've had this idea for a while and was inspired by someone I know who runs an elderly dog rescue.
I really want to avoid turning this into a discussion about the environment and what we can do to fix it. There are lots of efforts actively pursuing that avenue right now. But in respect to how much of the reefs have bleached and how much bleach per year, I feel like we might be on a time crunch to atleast attempt to save whats left.

Aquaculture has done a lot in respects to hand selecting the finest corals and growing them in farms for sale. But what if I used those methods to collect and catalog as many corals as possible with the sole goal of reseeding the ocean if circumstances ever changed? Basically I would have dedicated tanks by species and type (Soft,LPS, SPS). Basically The Ark for corals.

Do you think that would be a cause people would get behind? How much space would I need for a project like that? How feasible is a project like this? What questions am I not asking? Is it even necessary, are the bleaching numbers blown out of proportion?

Would love some feedback on this. TYIA

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t seen it yet, look at the global seed vault:

I think what you are wanting to do sounds great, but it’s way more than just a basement project.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the hobbyist around the world, I think we could frag a lot and replenish some areas ourselves. Essentially we are already doing this, we would just need people to then donate back when the time arises

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t seen it yet, look at the global seed vault:

I think what you are wanting to do sounds great, but it’s way more than just a basement project.

So all I need is a mountain, acres of land and an underground bunker. Seems easy enough

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the hobbyist around the world, I think we could frag a lot and replenish some areas ourselves. Essentially we are already doing this, we would just need people to then donate back when the time arises
Thats kind of what I was thinking was making it a co op type function, everyone could donate a morph or frag and leave their own mark on giving back in the end. We know it doesn't take much to grow a colony.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are serious then you can reach out to your local public aquarium to start some kind of partnership as many are already kind of going in that direction and they have the set up to do them - think zoos turning into nature preservation areas.

Definitely too big a scale to do in your basement depending on how many species you want to get. not to mention to upkeep costs in terms of utility expense.

if you are truly passionate about the cause - maybe sponsoring a display tank at your local aquarium could be easier starting point and dedicating that to rescue/preserving the endangered species. Many zoos/aquariums have these initiatives for the local habitats at least.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are serious then you can reach out to your local public aquarium to start some kind of partnership as many are already kind of going in that direction and they have the set up to do them - think zoos turning into nature preservation areas.

Definitely too big a scale to do in your basement depending on how many species you want to get. not to mention to upkeep costs in terms of utility expense.

if you are truly passionate about the cause - maybe sponsoring a display tank at your local aquarium could be easier starting point and dedicating that to rescue/preserving the endangered species. Many zoos/aquariums have these initiatives for the local habitants at least.
It would be a leased building type of thing, I have 0 room in my house for something of this scale. We have the Chattanooga aquarium and they have a very small selection of corals in a 100 gallon tank but everything else is synthetic to imitate them. They do have a massive anemone area with actual waves. Maybe I could contact them and look into something there, thanks for the idea.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would second looking at public aquariums, and at any research/conservation facilities near you. Especially conservation groups whose facilities aren't open to the public. Your time is probably better spent on helping to fund people who have access you don't (as many of these public facilities can get endangered corals you aren't allowed to have), and who have more experience and more resources. Donate to them, and volunteer at cleanups and the like.

In short: great idea, but you should fund the experts who are already doing it, instead of trying to do it all yourself.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a leased building type of thing, I have 0 room in my house for something of this scale. We have the Chattanooga aquarium and they have a very small selection of corals in a 100 gallon tank but everything else is synthetic to imitate them. They do have a massive anemone area with actual waves. Maybe I could contact them and look into something there, thanks for the idea.
Yeah! if something like this is missing from your local area then maybe you can help them expand their display selection or even have an area named after you - some like "More Reefs from MohrReef" or something lol..

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! if something like this is missing from your local area then maybe you can help them expand their display selection or even have an area named after you - some like "More Reefs from MohrReef" or something lol..
As far as know there are no conservation near me for something like this. Most Im able to find seem to be conserving in the wild vs captivity which seems a bit silly if the oceans take a dive. Know of any by chance who are doing a more captive conservation?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as know there are no conservation near me for something like this. Most Im able to find seem to be conserving in the wild vs captivity which seems a bit silly if the oceans take a dive. Know of any by chance who are doing a more captive conservation?
i don't, unfortunately - never really looked into this area myself.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good plan. It's a really good thought, but is probably best done as a group effort, particularly with some experts involved. And you would want to get a lot of research going- are there any coral species that are already widely maintained in captivity, that you shouldn't bother keeping?

Also, how are you going to get wild corals, and do you have any experience acclimating wild corals to aquarium life? Plenty of them don't work out so well.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan. It's a really good thought, but is probably best done as a group effort, particularly with some experts involved. And you would want to get a lot of research going- are there any coral species that are already widely maintained in captivity, that you shouldn't bother keeping?

Also, how are you going to get wild corals, and do you have any experience acclimating wild corals to aquarium life? Plenty of them don't work out so well.
Honestly, if I did an operation like that, I would have ideally hire a team of experts for the care of these on a scale this large and not just myself.
Sounds like we are a bit limited in what can and can't be saved in that aspect. I know we try to mimic nature in tanks but nature does it better often and I'm aware many don't ship well or survive in captivity well.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a couple things to this.

Unless you have the nonprofit business knowledge and or a degree or high knowledge in the husbandry of corals I would say that you personally starting up an Ark for corals would be very hard.

If you have the financial backing to do such a thing and can find someone who does have the knowledge and PASSION for this said thing that is something a little different.

If this Ark is your end goal my advice would be that you start up fund and go around to ALL of the aquariums in say the USA first and donate money to have tanks replaced or added so they can begin to actually house corals instead of fake reefs we all see at a lot of aquariums and then they can begin to also explain reefs to people better.

The Chattanooga Aquarium close to you is a very good aquarium and I am sure you can find someone in their facilities to email or talk to personally. Not to mention the Georgia aquarium is probably not far from you as well and they do many of these kinds of adventures as well.

I do not think you are crazy but it would probably be a lot cheaper and more beneficial for you if you could get all the Aquarium systems on board with you. As aquariums all over grow out their stock they can frag and send to other aquariums and create this child that you want.

In the event you made a non profit that did all these things and still had money in the coffers after years you could probably start your own Ark and then also educate the public and house everything you want for the reef apocalypse.

Just my thoughts don't know if any of that was helpful.

Side bar I think we need more real reef displays and education at Aquariums a lot of them know that fish bring in the visitors but real reefs in the ocean are where all these beautiful fish they display actually live.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a couple things to this.

Unless you have the nonprofit business knowledge and or a degree or high knowledge in the husbandry of corals I would say that you personally starting up an Ark for corals would be very hard.

If you have the financial backing to do such a thing and can find someone who does have the knowledge and PASSION for this said thing that is something a little different.

If this an Arkansas is your end goal my advice would be that you start up fund and go around to ALL of the aquariums in say the USA first and donate money to have tanks replaced or added so they can begin to actually house corals instead of fake reefs we all see at a lot of aquariums and then they can begin to also explain reefs to people better.

The Chattanooga Aquarium close to you is a very good aquarium and I am sure you can find someone in their facilities to email or talk to personally. Not to mention the Georgia aquarium is probably not far from you as well and they do many of these kinds of adventures as well.

I do not think you are crazy but it would probably be a lot cheaper and more beneficial for you if you could get all the Aquarium systems on board with you. As aquariums all over grow out their stock they can frag and send to other aquariums and create this child that you want.

In the event you made a non profit that did all these things and still had money in the coffers after years you could probably start your own Ark and then also educate the public and house everything you want for the reef apocalypse.

Just my thoughts don't know if any of that was helpful.

Side bar I think we need more real reef displays and education at Aquariums a lot of them know that fish bring in the visitors but real reefs in the ocean are where all these beautiful fish they display actually live.
Based on what you said and where I currently stand (no non profit experience, definitely not financially backed for something like this), sounds like best option is I should contact the aquarium and get them on board and then fundraise for a project and build off of that.
I cant find any contact info on their website though, only a phone number. I'll call them and get a contact in their salt exhibit.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what you said and where I currently stand (no non profit experience, definitely not financially backed for something like this), sounds like best option is I should contact the aquarium and get them on board and then fundraise for a project and build off of that.
I cant find any contact info on their website though, only a phone number. I'll call them and get a contact in their salt exhibit.

I am no expert by any means but in the long run scheme of things thise are all things that I would look into...

BUT in the short scheme if you could find an aquarium that is willing to start a new tank or dedicate a tank to reefing and is willing to take species from the outside public.... I bet this forum would dedicate frags and specimens for the cause.

If someone did not have something to donate to the cause some would be willing to donate money to build or rescape an old tank at an aquarium. You would have to find an aquarium willing to do this as I think with how generous this forum is the other part would be a lot easier.

You would probably need to ask them politely what would it take to make this happen? Going by what they say will also kind of guide you into a "is this feasible? and are they receiving of my idea?" Moment.

I do like this discussion though.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nervous to type this up on the risk of sounding like an an idiot.
I've had this idea for a while and was inspired by someone I know who runs an elderly dog rescue.
I really want to avoid turning this into a discussion about the environment and what we can do to fix it. There are lots of efforts actively pursuing that avenue right now. But in respect to how much of the reefs have bleached and how much bleach per year, I feel like we might be on a time crunch to atleast attempt to save whats left.

Aquaculture has done a lot in respects to hand selecting the finest corals and growing them in farms for sale. But what if I used those methods to collect and catalog as many corals as possible with the sole goal of reseeding the ocean if circumstances ever changed? Basically I would have dedicated tanks by species and type (Soft,LPS, SPS). Basically The Ark for corals.

Do you think that would be a cause people would get behind? How much space would I need for a project like that? How feasible is a project like this? What questions am I not asking? Is it even necessary, are the bleaching numbers blown out of proportion?

Would love some feedback on this. TYIA
CORAL Magazine had an article several issues back about a group of marine biologists that are doing exactly this in Australia. They are currently collecting corals from the Great Barrier Reef and housing them in a very large system in an effort to reseed the reef should they lose everything. Was a very interesting article and would be worth your reading if you are really interested in trying to do something similar. I believe the article gave contact information for the marine biologist team.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CORAL Magazine had an article several issues back about a group of marine biologists that are doing exactly this in Australia. They are currently collecting corals from the Great Barrier Reef and housing them in a very large system in an effort to reseed the reef should they lose everything. Was a very interesting article and would be worth your reading if you are really interested in trying to do something similar. I believe the article gave contact information for the marine biologist team.
Don't suppose you have a name to give me a good starting point? I'll try to Google that article too. Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back