I want your bryopsis!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like ripping some off and putting throwin it in a jar? Got a picture of the type of bryopsis?
I have some. In Chicago

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 115

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 105

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for some bryopsis since apparently this pest algae is hard to find locally. Who would have guessed.

Did you end up getting any? I'm in the same boat. I have E. clarki that I'm attempting to breed, but only have Halimeda, Penicillus, and Derbesia. There was someone local with a Bryopsis problem, but they beat it with some fluc before I could pickup any.

The other issue I'm having is that I'm trying to figure out how to ID Bryopsis pennata vs Bryopsis plumosa. I've read that B. plumosa is a better food for E. clarki larvae.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up getting any? I'm in the same boat. I have E. clarki that I'm attempting to breed, but only have Halimeda, Penicillus, and Derbesia. There was someone local with a Bryopsis problem, but they beat it with some fluc before I could pickup any.

The other issue I'm having is that I'm trying to figure out how to ID Bryopsis pennata vs Bryopsis plumosa. I've read that B. plumosa is a better food for E. clarki larvae.
I Have some that i was able to stimulate growth on by doing a iron dose but bryopsis ended up getting smothered out by dinos. I do still have lots of lil sprouts popping up so maybe it can hold on while I try to kill the dinos.

The plumosa I think tends to be shorter length. Very little info on this stuff sadly but what ever I had was able to support the larvae last time they bred.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have some that i was able to stimulate growth on by doing a iron dose but bryopsis ended up getting smothered out by dinos. I do still have lots of lil sprouts popping up so maybe it can hold on while I try to kill the dinos.

The plumosa I think tends to be shorter length. Very little info on this stuff sadly but what ever I had was able to support the larvae last time they bred.

I have something in my tank that seems to be able to feed the larvae. I saw some juveniles that had to be 2-3 weeks old, though they didn't survive. I had a flatworm outbreak around the same time, so it's possible the juveniles died due to predation, not a lack of suitable food.

CoreyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looking for some for same reason - if anyone has any they could send I would happy to pay the shipping and some for your trouble, or could come get if local to Boston area.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looking for some for same reason - if anyone has any they could send I would happy to pay the shipping and some for your trouble, or could come get if local to Boston area.

Welcome @CoreyA! Looks like you're new. So you're breeding Elysia as well? Do you keep reefs too or is this specifically just breeding Elysia? I'm still looking for bryopsis myself, but I'm relatively close to you, I'm in the Burlington VT area.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome @CoreyA! Looks like you're new. So you're breeding Elysia as well? Do you keep reefs too or is this specifically just breeding Elysia? I'm still looking for bryopsis myself, but I'm relatively close to you, I'm in the Burlington VT area.
I have tons of byropsis if any of you want to contact me go ahead

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one wants my Broosis can somebody confirm in Post 10 that this is the type of bropsis that lettuce sea slugs eat so I can finally get it out of my tank. Thanks for any help.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one wants my Broosis can somebody confirm in Post 10 that this is the type of bropsis that lettuce sea slugs eat so I can finally get it out of my tank. Thanks for any help.
Is it possible for you to pull out a small piece and get a close up picture under bright light, so I can see more detail? That would help ID the species, like B. plumosa or B. pennata (this site says B. pennata is preferred).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for you to pull out a small piece and get a close up picture under bright light, so I can see more detail? That would help ID the species, like B. plumosa or B. pennata (this site says B. pennata is preferred).
So this is best I can get hope it works. I plan to like every month or so clean it all up and throw away and this time gunna look into some lettuce slugs so if you want it let me know

5EF3E60E-6591-40F3-898B-444FB56164AC.jpeg D0ADEBCE-B0EE-4AFF-8E7B-E8D3D3C22B31.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back