Possible Bryopsis Identification

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize that the algae in my tank might be bryopsis until too late. Showed a picture to my LFS, thinks it is bryposis. Just wanted to post here to confirm. Have already done reading on possible courses of action, but just want to confirm before I do anything too crazy.

PXL_20240207_044559215.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the story I typically hear with bryopsis. I do have a chunk of live rock in there and there is certainly less bryopsis on it. But I am not sure how that would really help beat it. Is there some strategy I am missing?

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that’s bryopsis. I have beaten pretty easily with reef flux and some good snails. 3x the normal does will wipe it all out in a few weeks. Then a water change and back into business. Just be careful if you have a skimmer. It will make it overflow. I also removed as much as I could before I treated and it worked great.

leviticus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Reef Flux - Fluconazole was the only thing that worked for me. It took about three weeks to really see an improvement. It nice to see the Algae turn white and fade away.

leviticus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut off UV sterilizer, shut off Protein Skimmer, removed my filter socks, and turned off my GFO/Carbon reactor. I waited three weeks to start a water change.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with fluconazole 2 weeks ago tomorrow at 20mg/gal. It made the bryposis kind of turn into a more mushy texture and lose its green color but some of it is still hanging on.

But just the past couple days this stuff has started to show up. It is much smaller than the old bryposis for now, but I want to confirm what it is before I consider cleaning out the fluconazole treatment.

Its probably 1/4"-1/2" in length. It does come off somewhat easily with a toothbrush. I can sort of see a central stock with feathery bits coming off, but it doesn't quite look like the old bryposis.

I tried to get the best pictures I could, but it isn't great. I have a microscope but cant take pictures with it, if there are key features to look for.

Thanks for any help here.

PXL_20240223_223023313.jpg

PXL_20240223_222852163.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back