I want your tall aquarium opinions!

Jchockey12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I bought a 51L x 15W x 21H (70G) tank a while back when I first getting into the hobby. I have not gotten around to setting it up yet but with more research, I find that there are hardly any tanks that are taller than they are wide like mine.
What are some Pros and Cons to having a tall tank?
I know that the surface area of the water is smaller so the oxygen exchange will be less than in a normal tank.
Does this require more powerheads or will a bigger sump help with oxygenating the water?
What about fish? Will more, less, or the same amount of fish like the vertical height of the water column?
Does it make it harder to circulate old food from the bottom of the tank to the overflow?

What has your experience been or your intuition tell you?
TIA

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverse square law

So much light attenuation :(

But if you want a mixed reef it allows for some deeper existing coral and maybe acros up top!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

first tip for algae control

don’t shine so bright that you have to clean lower levels of acrylic or glass at all. You set the lighting around the max penetrance depth of algae so that scum cleaning is easy, within the first two feet of tank depth. Then you set your stock placement around those limitations

by design the first two feet there are bright and the rest of the way down is dimmer

aim powerheads up to create rolling laminar flow

that one was freshwater planted but marine works the same way

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really just aesthetics, and taller, slimmer rock structures are a lot less coral place friendly.

My tank is tall, 30" tall. But it is also 6' long. I have no issue growing corals anywhere in the system, I have acros encrusting on the bare bottom.

(3) noopsyche pro3's and (4) 36" aliexpress 470 nm led bars for lighting reference.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A standard 55 gallon has similar dimensions (a little less wide). Those are very popular. I don't like them, but there have been a ton of them sold.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21" is pretty standard height imo. I thought this was going to be +30" or something. As with a standard 55, your main struggle is going to be aquascaping in a somewhat narrow space.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this counts but:
I switched from 22" tall 37G tank to 16" tall 40 breeder.
I much prefer the ability to get to the sandbed easier for maintenance.
...in my case, that also made for more front-to-back room for rockscape

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge with tall tanks is how you manage maintenance and placement. That is more or less it. Flow and lighting are all manageable. Maintaining it is the main source of contention. Ladder, arm length, and mechanical tools to place or rearrange are important so that you don't put your face in the water or need to wear a snorkle.

So when you consider tall factor in the bigger issue which will be day to day maintenance. Or what if...

I run a 210 gallon mixed reef that is 30" tall so these are some of the things I think of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back