Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered a tool called “socket savers” for schedule 80 pipe. It basically reams out the fitting so you can replace plumbing. Just ordered it and will give it a go. Hopefully it works well and I can keep my plumbing intact when changes are required.

Dang. $57 though...
You could replumb the whole tank with $57 lol.

Plus you would have to remove the section of pipe before using the tool then clean all of the reamed shavings.

2 new unions and new plumbing would be cheaper.

I do like tools though......lol

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I looked at it. Still can’t figure it out. And @Saltyreef seems to have good points.
Youd have to cut the pipe @ the fitting and then plunge it into the open end of the pipe and keep spinning it to "ream" out the pipe from the fitting.
The little blades on the side will shave thru the pipe inside the fitting.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You simply cut the pipe flush with the end of the fitting. Tool is self piloting on the old pipe ID. Turn it and it cuts the old pipe out of fitting. I can see where it might save a tough to repair set-up.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youd have to cut the pipe @ the fitting and then plunge it into the open end of the pipe and keep spinning it to "ream" out the pipe from the fitting.
The little blades on the side will shave thru the pipe inside the fitting.
Hah hah, you type faster than me.

OP
OP
B

bearpeidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use my drill press but yes, people do use hand drills. Reason why I’m pursuing is unions are not always the same and schedule 80 fitting are expensive. I use several true union ball valves and it’s not easy to just get the socket end especially when you glue up something wrong. Schedule 80 is way over kill for my tank but I like the looks and feel when I’m done.

They do make much cheaper ones for schedule 40 PVC. Around 12 bucks. Honestly, I like tools and when the hardware store is closed and you’re working through some plumbing might be nice to have in the arsenal.

Just thought I’d share as a didn’t know they made these things and will help keep my plumbing changes nice and neat - in theory anyway.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it depends on how often you feel the need to change your plumbing .... or how often you screw it up LOL. I use all spears valves and you can buy spare flanges. I do hear you on the whole tools thing though. I bought a $$$ NPT tap set which I have used nearly twice.

Replacement Ball Valve Slip Connectors - Cepex - Bulk Reef Supply

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back