I was told NOT to dip my corals?!?

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then, I'll make this quick. I just received my Reefapalooza coral haul plus a few extra frags I purchased from WWC afterwards. They were nice enough to ship everything for me back to Boston and when I opened everything I was planning on doing my usual Acclimation and Dip. But when I read their instructions, they said not to dip your new corals right away but to place them in your tank for 24 hrs and then after that you can dip them just in case they are stressed from transport. But does that make sense? Won't any parasites or hitchhikers likely hop off and defeat the purpose the dip a day later?? I'm kind of trying to decide what to do right now so any responses will be a big help. Thanks guys

16214666723501487456787795360347.jpg Screenshot_20210519-192658_Photos.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,qt if can for a day then dip, or ,jmo...dip them .. :)

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think their thought process is that 24 hours isn’t likely enough time for parasites to come off and venture elsewhere in your tank.

Whether that is true or not is impossible to say.

FWIW, I’ve never had any issue with parasites from WWC.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An idea. Put them in a bucket with a heater and some flow. Then soon as you can, dip and put in tank. Or let them float in the bag with water in a bucket and heater. It'll be the same as shipping them.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that’s ridiculously absurd.

you could do a water change,
hold that water
and then acclimate and dip your frags in there…
with a heater if need be…

wwc is giving you some stupid instructions
I wouldn’t go that far to say it’s “stupid”.

Shipping can be extremely stressful for corals. Adding to the already stressed coral a dip on top of that could push it over the edge and kill it.

With that said, dip isn’t a guarantee that it will eliminate all and any pests. That is where a QT comes in. The “put it in your tank and wait 24 hours before dipping” could very well be your QT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm gonna try and QT for a out 12 hrs and then dip. I acclimated them for about 2 1/2 hrs as well to try and get them to settle but I just can't Not dip. It's just not possible lol. Those suckers are uuugeeee and the bottoms of them are just prime bristle worm territory. I can just feel it lol. One of the frag plugs is like 4"x4". Im.just glad I'm not the only one who thought those instructions were a little strange. Thanx for the feedback.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I believe their reasoning is to allow them to recover from shipping before dipping.

I set up a separate 5 gallon tank from Petco (with a AI Prime) to hold them in when they arrived. I actually now hold them in there for QT and dip them when I move them to my DT.

I can’t understand the benefit of dipping them after they’ve already been in your display.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d dip before they enter the tank, but I also agree that QT is the way to go. I always have a 10g tank going just in case.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dip before adding to the tank. Can't see it doing any good a day later.
Would you dip an Acro that showed up bone white? I received an Orange Passion that showed up bone white. Had I dipped it at that time, I know it would have pushed it over the edge and killed it.

I was able to nurse it back, colored up in a month.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you dip an Acro that showed up bone white? I received an Orange Passion that showed up bone white. Had I dipped it at that time, I know it would have pushed it over the edge and killed it.

I was able to nurse it back, colored up in a month.
In that case probably not. But again, dipping it a day or two later would have accomplished nothing.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine for 24 hours to let them settle
From shipping .
after already being stressed , a dip can push them over the edge .
Qt and dip before adding to dt

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then, I'll make this quick. I just received my Reefapalooza coral haul plus a few extra frags I purchased from WWC afterwards. They were nice enough to ship everything for me back to Boston and when I opened everything I was planning on doing my usual Acclimation and Dip. But when I read their instructions, they said not to dip your new corals right away but to place them in your tank for 24 hrs and then after that you can dip them just in case they are stressed from transport. But does that make sense? Won't any parasites or hitchhikers likely hop off and defeat the purpose the dip a day later?? I'm kind of trying to decide what to do right now so any responses will be a big help. Thanks guys

16214666723501487456787795360347.jpg Screenshot_20210519-192658_Photos.jpg
giphy-2.gif

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang girl, you dropped by coinage on those LPS

Hopefully you've researched the heck out of proper care.

Trachys and Scolys can be suuuuuper sensitive to light and water quality.

Yikers....

Biting Nails Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back