I would like ideas on which media to add to my HOB filter

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok. Maybe I'll do that then. Any tips for cycling my tank?
My favorite method is toss in a piece of shrimp to rot and create ammonia then pick up a bottle of nitrifying bacteria like micro bac or seachem stability to add some bacteria to break the ammonia down. Once the ammonia disappears good to start adding fish

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get some ammonia such as Dr Tim's and add to your tank then add the nitrifying bacteria. With Dr Tim's you only need a small amount of ammonia and the cycle will happen faster. Adding shrimp to rot is a good way but you have to be able to stand the rotten shrimp smell.
Patience is the best tool you have for now.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you are not using much live rock right now. How much live rock or dry rock are you using right now. If you don't want pests from live rock then use dry rock. The cycle will take a little longer but you won't have pests. Idk is exact minimum amount of rock needed but I would say have at least 40 give or take lbs. This rock is your main biological filter. Are you going fish only or reef? Good luck we are here to help. Welcome to this enjoyable but expensive hobby

OP
OP
J

Jc0187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite method is toss in a piece of shrimp to rot and create ammonia then pick up a bottle of nitrifying bacteria like micro bac or seachem stability to add some bacteria to break the ammonia down. Once the ammonia disappears good to start adding fish
That's an interesting one.

OP
OP
J

Jc0187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you are not using much live rock right now. How much live rock or dry rock are you using right now. If you don't want pests from live rock then use dry rock. The cycle will take a little longer but you won't have pests. Idk is exact minimum amount of rock needed but I would say have at least 40 give or take lbs. This rock is your main biological filter. Are you going fish only or reef? Good luck we are here to help. Welcome to this enjoyable but expensive hobby
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Currently I have 30lbs of LR. I know I'll definitely need much more, being as I have a 75 gallon aquarium and all. I believe I'll be happy with a fish only tank with some LR. I would like to get into a reef tank but it just seems too much right now.

OP
OP
J

Jc0187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get some ammonia such as Dr Tim's and add to your tank then add the nitrifying bacteria. With Dr Tim's you only need a small amount of ammonia and the cycle will happen faster. Adding shrimp to rot is a good way but you have to be able to stand the rotten shrimp smell.
Patience is the best tool you have for now.
Oh yea. I never considered the smell factor of the shrimp. I don't think my wife would like that lol. I'll look into this Dr. Tims.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back