I would love some input on my refugium lighting schedule.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year old (almost) and it is a Nano tank. 13.5 gallon tank.

I thought it would be cool to add some chaeto in the back and get a simple light for it and put it on a timer. My primary reason for having a refugium was to populate it with pods. Nutrient control was secondary.

^^^^ This light is being used.

So if I understand this correctly, a refugium makes pH go up? So can algae in the tank? I have some green hair algae but not an overwhelming but enough to be embarrassed about it. My pH has jumped from 8.0 to 8.4 in about a week. Refugium has only been going for less than week.

My main display light goes on at 9 AM and turns off at 7 PM with a 1 hour ramp up/down time. The refugium light turns on at 7:01 PM and turns off at 5:00 AM.

Hydra 32 light settings :

UV : 10%
Violet : 11%
Royal Blue : 38%
Blue : 28%
Green : 0%
Dark Red : 0%
Moon Light : 0%
Cool White : 0%

(light is also 10.5 " from the water)

pH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 - 2 ppm

Should I decrease the time my refugium light is on? I am prepared for the intense negative criticism.

I have only been into the hobby for 2+ years now. I do maintenance with my bosses tank at work cause nobody would if I didn't. That is how I got into it. Unfortunately I do not have space for a big tank and thought a nano tank would be cool. Bleh. Whoopsie! Didn't understand that smaller tanks are harder than big ones!

Picture of the refugium light and pic of my garbage nano tank.

20211117_174314.jpg

This pic was from a couple weeks ago^^^^

Also try and have a happy Thanksgiving.

20211121_191628.jpg

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try the 8 hour time and see if that helps.

I really hope pods grow in it. I put in phyto in my tank almost daily.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back