Ice Cap Algae Turf Scrubber reworked

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new Ice Cap Algae scrubber and couldn't fit it in my sump area the way it was , so I repurposed it to be an In sump ATS powered off my pump with a set of Santa Monica Gem 5 lights that are totally waterproof. just waiting on some extra white acrylic pieces to be glued on the sides to block out the rest off the light. Very easy to remove/service and clean...
what do you think?
Rick
IMG_2218.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bonus points for creativity!

BTW, nice sump! :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting one but I have limited room (height) under the stand. This looks like something I can do. Which model is that?

OP
OP
rickster

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice cap has a good quality build, I don't know how well their lights grow algae, because I used my own on this scrubber( which has been growing a consistent good green algae on the screen. I would say their price is better than The Clear Water ones which cost $385. with the light covers and Ice Caps only cost $225.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice cap has a good quality build, I don't know how well their lights grow algae, because I used my own on this scrubber( which has been growing a consistent good green algae on the screen. I would say their price is better than The Clearwater ones which cost $385. with the light covers and Ice Caps only cost $225.

I do want to preface this by saying I have no dog in this fight as I own a Turbo’s ATS. :D Looking at the two, I like the Clear Water scrubber design better. Of course you are paying for these design features as the Clearwaters are more expensive than the Ice Caps.

The Clearwater uses a slot pipe to distribute the water in an even sheet over the growth screen. The Ice Caps have those drilled holes which will be clogged with algae, impeding flow as it grows in (you’ll see when you get the streamers... errant jets of water going everywhere but the screen).

Although the light blockers are an added expense, having them be removable allows you to easily see the growth on the screen and when it is ready to be cleaned... a nice convenience. As far as I know, the only way to really monitor growth on the Ice Cap is to stick your head over the scrubber and see if you can see anything beneath the slot pipe, quite a tight and difficult viewing angle. Or for clearer inspection you can kill the pump, undo the spraybar union and lift the assembly and screen out for inspection.

I also like that Josh uses standard PVC fittings as opposed to the Ice Cap’s metric fittings. Being USA built is always a plus as well. Again, this comes at a monetary cost.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Less than a month of uses, one side is light is already dead, is there a warranty for this Ats?

Have you reached out to where you purchased the product? Also, if it is an #IceCap then you can reach out to @CoralVue support.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back