Ice Cap Electronic Selectable Wattage Metal Halide Ballast 250watt vs. 400watt

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity I just did a quick par test on these two ballasts using a 250watt Radium. Both ballasts are new with adjustable settings and were placed on the 250watt super lumens setting. I was surprised to see that the 400 watt ballast put out on average about 25 more par than the 250watt ballast on the same setting. Has anyone else seen this difference? What might be the cause?
Thanks.

On a side note I also compared it to a Hamilton 250watt m80 ballast. Sensor was not moved and remained in the same exact location for each reading. Bulb was left running for 15 min. to get to full power before reading was taken.
Here are the comparisons:
M80 - 210 par
400watt electronic - 185 par
250watt electronic - 160 par

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity I just did a quick par test on these two ballast using a 250watt Radium. Both ballasts are new with adjustable settings and were placed on the super lumens setting. I was surprised to see that the 400 watt ballast put out on average about 25 more par than the 250watt ballast on the same setting. Has anyone else seen this difference? What might be the cause?
Thanks.
@jda may be able to answer this.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those are to spec for the 20k Radium. HQI m80 is the spec and is about 330w. Super Lumens or HQI settings on an electronic ballast is not a standard and there is no way to expect something consistent from one ballast type to another. One that I tested was about 280w, which is still 50w less than a real m80 and like 50 less PAR... but is more power than a regular 250w ballast.

On m80, 20k Radium is an output monster.

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This I know. I edited my original post to show the difference between the 3 that I have. As m80 ballasts are becoming harder and harder to find I was looking for a backup ballast that would get me close if/when one of my m80 ballasts should fail.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the used sections in your LFS from time to time, or ask them. I got these a week or two ago along with the fixture for a hundo. I have about a dozen backups now, which seems like a lot, but I run 8 of them when I have them all going. These are like gold to me and those were barely used. You would think that is a population center near NYC that you could find tons of people with these in their closets... I can find them in Denver, which is not small, but not that huge.

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 8.49.07 PM.png

I think that m80 will be back after a while. Hauquan? out of China still makes them, but there just don't seem to be any in the US right now. I have been helping a guy in the EU and they can get them new still there. We have a former exchange student in Germany who buys me parts and stuff and ships them to me when necessary and they have them there still too.

If you don't need the output, the new Hammy 20k looks almost identical and was made to run on 250w ballasts. Output is not as much, of course, but they look really nice. I am running a few over a 36" frag tank where I don't need the output of 20k Radium or 14k Phoenix, but want 2 bulbs for the coverage.

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of those reeflex cubes. Great ballasts! I have one hamilton and one bluewave 7 dual that has one channel working inconsistently. I have to open it up and check out the wiring. I've already changed the capacitor but it still gives me issues. I'll have to take your advice and ask at my lfs's and maybe throw a "looking for" ad on here for my reef club area. I hope they do make a return here to the US. Thanks for you feedback and help.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the used sections in your LFS from time to time, or ask them. I got these a week or two ago along with the fixture for a hundo. I have about a dozen backups now, which seems like a lot, but I run 8 of them when I have them all going. These are like gold to me and those were barely used. You would think that is a population center near NYC that you could find tons of people with these in their closets... I can find them in Denver, which is not small, but not that huge.

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 8.49.07 PM.png

I think that m80 will be back after a while. Hauquan? out of China still makes them, but there just don't seem to be any in the US right now. I have been helping a guy in the EU and they can get them new still there. We have a former exchange student in Germany who buys me parts and stuff and ships them to me when necessary and they have them there still too.

If you don't need the output, the new Hammy 20k looks almost identical and was made to run on 250w ballasts. Output is not as much, of course, but they look really nice. I am running a few over a 36" frag tank where I don't need the output of 20k Radium or 14k Phoenix, but want 2 bulbs for the coverage.
Wow exactly what I am looking for! Have you tried Alibaba yet? There must be a way to get a few.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back