Ice storm overnight.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone. Ice storm blew in last night, a solid 1/2 inch of ice covering EVERYTHING. Luckily ive got a generator. Reef doesn't even know the power is out. Anyone else affected by the storm? How are you fairing?

I Just returned from Home Depot to exchange two empty propane tanks . Its looking like out power is going to be out until mid day tomorrow . Luckily i have OUR Furnace power wired to power off generator.. Same for all the tank stuff . and Fridge..

We also had the top fall out of a Giant Oak tree.. Luckily no damage..

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad Y'all are safe.

Ice is no joke for sure. We don't get much snow but lots of ice.
Yea man thanks. I use to live in NC. Grew up there until I was 19. Little town called Sanford. Live deep in the Appalachians of WV now, haven't seen ice like this since I was young man. We are still out of power. Although my reef doesn't know that :). Hopefully power will be back on tmrw. It's a pain going to neighbors for a shower before work.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Cincinnati. The power was out since Thursday 4 am so I went out and bought a portable generator last night... By 9 pm the tank had dropped from 78 to 64 degrees :( luckily got it running and everything is ok. Good thing as they didn't get the power on until afternoon, almost 36 hours!

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea man thanks. I use to live in NC. Grew up there until I was 19. Little town called Sanford. Live deep in the Appalachians of WV now, haven't seen ice like this since I was young man. We are still out of power. Although my reef doesn't know that :). Hopefully power will be back on tmrw. It's a pain going to neighbors for a shower before work.

I know Sanford well. All of Lee County is pretty much Sanford. Hoping all goes well for all Y'all!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me in Vermont they kinda blew the forecast, they were calling for snow/ice/rain, 6"+ in the Champlain valley. I got maybe 3" at my house and not much more further north. The hills got it, well some hills, Adirondacks and parts of the Greens around a foot. It was mostly over by noon.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got power back on a few min ago. Finally! Been out since Thursday morning! A few cold nights (15-25 degrees at night) but the generator kept my family and reef warm and cozy, even got to watch some TV! Thankfully it's back on tho.
All of my frozen food thawed and now some of my plankton are green.. anyone know if they are still viable? Didn't get "warm" just thawed, stayed cool tho. Maybe my food is still good?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got power back on a few min ago. Finally! Been out since Thursday morning! A few cold nights (15-25 degrees at night) but the generator kept my family and reef warm and cozy, even got to watch some TV! Thankfully it's back on tho.
All of my frozen food thawed and now some of my plankton are green.. anyone know if they are still viable? Didn't get "warm" just thawed, stayed cool tho. Maybe my food is still good?
I can't tell you if your food is still good beyond normal refrigeration in the main part of your refrigerator.
but for a future reference you may want to put a small transparent cup of water in your freezer and let it freeze.
Thenn add a quarter on top of it and keep it in the freezer.

When you have a power outage if the quarter makes it down to the middle of the glass your food *might* still be good as frozen food. But I personally would let it thaw out and use it up in the fridge or throw it out.

If the quarter makes it all the way to the bottom of the glass and refreezes you know the freezer has completely thawed out at some point and everything has had the potential to completely spoil.

Cheap insurance to help keep your family safe.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you if your food is still good beyond normal refrigeration in the main part of your refrigerator.
but for a future reference you may want to put a small transparent cup of water in your freezer and let it freeze.
Thenn add a quarter on top of it and keep it in the freezer.

When you have a power outage if the quarter makes it down to the middle of the glass your food *might* still be good as frozen food. But I personally would let it thaw out and use it up in the fridge or throw it out.

If the quarter makes it all the way to the bottom of the glass and refreezes you know the freezer has completely thawed out at some point and everything has had the potential to completely spoil.

Cheap insurance to help keep your family safe.
Thank you sir. I can tell you nothing else was thawed at all. I had a bag of ice that wasn't thawed either and none of my food was thawed, everything was still very firm and frosted. For some reason my fish food thawed out. Like I said it remained cool just not in frozen state.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea basically lol. Broadway too you can't forget them!

Oh yes, how well I know. Heading out of Sanford toward Greensboro is a Sea Food Restaurant on the left (outskirts of Sanford) man that some good food. I don't recall the name.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back