icecap 660 t5 problems

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent the last 4 hours trying to get my t5s to work. So far i can only get two bulbs too fire for a second before shutting off. I have went through all the wiring and endcaps and wired according to a diagram. the kit i bought off the for sale forum came with two icecap 660 ballasts and both do the same and all 4 bulbs are new. I guess im going to have to borrow my brother's ohm meter to check the wiring and bulbs.

is there anything else i could try until i get a ohm meter?

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like one of the endcaps isn't making contact or it could be a bad lamp. I'd say check the fuse but if it fires momentarily I don't think that would be it.

Neptunus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 660 did that when one of my bulbs went bad. I had a bulb touching a metal halide reflector and it burned a small tiny pin hole in the bulb. Whenever I tried turning it on the remaining bulbs would fire up for a split second then go back down. If I remember correctly that is how I knew which bulb was bad because it wasn't one of the ones that was firing up.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 4 bulbs and only two will fire for a second. Its possible for it to be two bad bulbs but they are all new. It could be the wiring or endcaps or ballast. I am going to borrow my brother's ohm meter today to check everything out. Does anybody know if you just buy the metal clips that the wire goes into the endcap with buying the whole endcap assembly.

Neptunus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have narrowed it down to two of the four bulbs. If you are certain it is wired correctly I would change the bulbs around the two bulbs that are firing for a split second for the two that are not and see if those fire up for a split second also. Other than that it really just comes down to either the endcaps. I am not sure what happens when a 660 ballast goes faulty.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a connection issue. Check your connections and make sure the bulbs are making good connections in the endcaps

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did swap the bulbs and they all fire just for sec on the blue,orange and purple wires section(2 bulbs) fire for a second. Brown,red and yellow do nothing. I have redid all the connections. I did borrow a ohm meter but either it doesnt work or its smarter than me. It wont do conituity through the wire harness, i even tried a foot long wire to get it to show resistance or conituity. Ohwell i will have to get my brother to help me.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back