a few plumbing questions

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get away with just using glue, no primer?
I have one Durso drain, can I use a ball valve instead of a gate? According to my estimates both the pump and drain are rated for 660 GPH.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes to both, but why? lack of primer just makes the small possibility of failure more likely. On the gate vs ball valve, sure you'll save a few $, but the ball valve is harder to adjust, harder to tune, easier to clog.
lack of primer because my dad said i wont need it

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brs doesnt have the one with unions, do you know where else to find a gate valve unioned?
if you check out my build thread, you can see a full step by step guide to do plumbing with a gate valve and unions - I purchased the unions separately and connected them with short lengths of PVC.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1710796481449.png

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Durso drain, can I use a ball valve instead of a gate? According to my estimates both the pump and drain are rated for 660 GPH.
Yes you can use a ball. Gates are better for dialing in flow.

Do you have an emergency drain? The pump may be rated at 660gph but I doubt you will get that out of it because of head pressures. I forget the ration but height and bends decrease the gph of the pump.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can use a ball. Gates are better for dialing in flow.

Do you have an emergency drain? The pump may be rated at 660gph but I doubt you will get that out of it because of head pressures. I forget the ration but height and bends decrease the gph of the pump.
the pumps made for like 1050 (its the reef octo ) and with head pressure calculations i got 660

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of primer is to begin the chemical reaction that softens PVC and to provide an even prepped surface for the solvent cement. PVC joints are not glued together, but fused through a chemical change. The softer the outer layer of the PVC, the better it will cement. This is how primer helps your joint strength. Primer does not have to be purple. You can get clear primer too. Purple primer is used so building inspectors can tell it is there. Another thing you will notice with primed joints is much easier they will slide together. And how they will also want to back out at first. Be prepared to hold the parts together for a few seconds so they set up and don't back off.

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be kicking yourself for ever if you use a ball valve instead of a gate valve on the drain. All the ball valves I have in my system get hard to turn after awhile and def not good at fine tuning. Usually it's really small adjustments on the drain which will be very frustrating with a ball valve.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be kicking yourself forever if you use a ball valve instead of a gate valve on the drain. All the ball valves I have in my system get hard to turn after a while and def not good at fine-tuning. Usually, it's really small adjustments on the drain which will be very frustrating with a ball valve.
and i can get away with a check valve laying horizontally (on a 45-degree angle, so not really horizontally) for the return?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While you sure can, the primer softens the surface to allow maximum bonding and strength

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use Oatley fusion, which is primer + cement in 1 application?

fusion.JPG

And best off its clear on top....

I was told the only reason why the primer and cement is purple is so when Building and Safety needs to do inspection, it makes it easier for them to see if the job was done correctly.

But for a fishtank, who cares about inspection when its you thats inspecting it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i can get away with a check valve laying horizontally (on a 45-degree angle, so not really horizontally) for the return?
Check valves will fail. Make sure your sump can handle the back-siphon when the pump is off, and add a siphon break as was suggested earlier.
If you only have a single drain, DO NOT put ANY valve (ball OR gate) on it. You need an emergency - ungated - drain if you're going to gate the main drain

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use Oatley fusion, which is primer + cement in 1 application?

fusion.JPG

And best off its clear on top....

I was told the only reason why the primer and cement is purple is so when Building and Safety needs to do inspection, it makes it easier for them to see if the job was done correctly.

But for a fishtank, who cares about inspection when its you thats inspecting it.
There is also clear primer...

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While everyone is correct about the purpose of primer and why it is purple, I don’t bother with it for non pressure applications on pipe less than 2” in diameter. I dislike the purple staining and have no desire to order/stock clear.

IMHO important than primer is making sure that cut ends are smooth and burr free. A single burr or grain of cut plastic residue can scrape away the glue and leave a groove in the joint can leak.

New to glueing PVC? Sure, use primer, it will increase your chances of success I suppose.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back