ICH AGAIN!

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, April 1st I introduced 2 new fish to my DT from I highly reputable retailer that performs QT with treatment. I added a juvenile emperor and a long nose butterfly. Both were vibrant and eating within an hour of being added. In January I had an ich outbreak and lost my lion and pink faced wrasse. I treated for 30 days with cupramine before I did any water changes and added cuprisorb. Everything was going well until Friday, when I noticed my trigger itching. Last night the hippo tang had some signs...this morning the trigger and angel are covered. Since I have already dosed my DT should I just begin treatment again? Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please post pics under white lights as this sounds like it can also be velvet which explains the quick death and treats differently from ick

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics under white lights as this sounds like it can also be velvet which explains the quick death and treats differently from ick
Thanks, I'll try to get pictures. Sorry for the confusion the losses were in January after weeks of trying vitamins to defeat it naturally. After the losses I dosed cupramine.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are not cooperating for photos. The cupramine label says it treats ich and velvet, should I dose that now? I used it in January and thought I was done, and bought pre-treated fish since I don't have a QT. Is it better to get meds in the tank now, is my immediate question and concern.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are not cooperating for photos. The cupramine label says it treats ich and velvet, should I dose that now? I used it in January and thought I was done, and bought pre-treated fish since I don't have a QT. Is it better to get meds in the tank, now, is my immediate question and concern.
Yes, I think you should start another 30 day copper treatment. With one old fish and one new one being the fist to show symptoms this time, it isn’t clear to me if the new fish brought it in, or the old fish relapsed. I always quarantine every new fish, regardless of their history.
Jay

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think you should start another 30 day copper treatment. With one old fish and one new one being the fist to show symptoms this time, it isn’t clear to me if the new fish brought it in, or the old fish relapsed. I always quarantine every new fish, regardless of their history.
Jay
Thank you @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 and all! I'll start immediately.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
50% treatment added this morning. All fish active and eating. Just picked up a Hanna to confirm dosing...fingers crossed!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back