Ich and Acanthurus tangs - Years of experience and ich management

Alright folks I wanted to share some pretty shameful realities about my past and dealing with Acanthurus tangs. To anyone that doesn't know,...
  1. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

That will not have any impact on marine ich - but it will increase stress to the fish which will exacerbate the problem, if anything. This decreases the oxygen "capacity" of the water too (warmer water does this)

It MAY speed the life cycle of the parasite as well, which would further worsen the results, but there's no definitive proof that this last point is the case.

Humblefish likes this.

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

^^ Agree; the "warm water" theory is more applicable to FW Ich (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis). It has been proven to speed up that parasite's life cycle: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006

Unfortunately, no direct evidence exists (yet) to support this same theory for Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans). The correlation between temperature and Crypto seems to be intentionally kept vague in every publication I have read. :confused:

4FordFamily likes this.
  3. jinbing0905

jinbing0905 Well-Known Member

Thx

4. jinbing0905

Can I add chloroquine Phosphate to the DT if my tank is FOT? Is Cp same as copper

5. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Sorry I don't know what FOT is -- I fail haha.

6. jinbing0905

Fish only tank

7. 4FordFamily

I would avoid adding any meds to a display tank -- especially with the inability to measure and test CP - I wouldn't want all of those things that can absorb meds there -- it'll undermine its effectiveness

Humblefish and melypr1985 like this.
  8. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

They are not the same, but in some respects they are similar. CP has less side effects than copper, but neither should be used in a display. It's unknown just how much CP would be absorbed in the rocks ect, and since it can't be tested by the average hobbyist, it's best to avoid that all together and stick with the peace of mind a QT offers. :)

4FordFamily and Humblefish like this.
  9. jinbing0905

I have too many fish my qt is not big enough so I don't know what to do(

10. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

melypr1985 likes this.
  11. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

There are things you can do in this situation, though they all involve getting something to use as a QT. Rubbermaid makes stock tanks you can keep large fish in (or large numbers of fish). Craigslist is full of empty used tanks that you can possibly get for cheap (or cheap considering what it would cost to replace all or most of your fish).

4FordFamily and Humblefish like this.
  12. jinbing0905

Once with but CP In the qt when should we do a water change and how much? How long does this treatment take?

13. Humblefish

Do a WC as needed when ammonia is present or just to tidy up the QT. Dose the replacement water with Chloroquine BEFORE adding it to the QT, so therapeutic levels remain constant.

Standard treatment time is 30 days, same as copper.

4FordFamily likes this.
  14. jinbing0905

I have wc every other day why my ammonia still present

15. melypr1985

You may need to add a bacteria in a bottle product to help the filter cycle a bit faster.

Humblefish and 4FordFamily like this.
  16. jinbing0905

Ok I see

17. 4FordFamily

Yes this means the tank is not cycled completely.

Humblefish likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted