Ich confirmation

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get a second opinion - got a new bicolor angel a week ago and just noticed a white lump on edge of fin (see pic). Seems like probably ich based on what I’ve read here. I have a 2nd 15 gal tank with 2 clowns in it, should I pull him and use as a hospital tank right away or is it probably too late for this tank (likely already has ich)?

1E37C63B-BE6B-4BBE-B34E-272F256008CD.jpeg

Charles2465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep looks like ich.
How long has he had the spec on his fin?
From my experience ich can be on other fish and inconspicuous. Just keep a close eye on your surgeon fish , angels and clowns as they are prone to ich

OP
OP
ExpatFish

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has been about 2 days... since this is my DT, Could I remove inverts and treat the whole tank with copper to ‘save’ the other fish as well?

OP
OP
ExpatFish

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - nm last post, I see now copper in the DT is a hard no... looking into salinity treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has been about 2 days... since this is my DT, Could I remove inverts and treat the whole tank with copper to ‘save’ the other fish as well?
The spot on the fin is not ich, it is too large and has been in place too long. It is probably Lymphocystis, a non fatal viral disease that may get worse, but generally resolves in 6 weeks or so. That said, there is a smaller spot on the body that could be ich.
Jay

OP
OP
ExpatFish

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, I’m so grateful to get input from you! I was ready to start trying to catch them all and try the TTM... thankfully the spot on the body was just a food particle or something floating by. I will continue to monitor closely

Charles2465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, I’m so grateful to get input from you! I was ready to start trying to catch them all and try the TTM... thankfully the spot on the body was just a food particle or something floating by. I will continue to monitor closely
Are the spots on his body also food particles/bubbles?

OP
OP
ExpatFish

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots on his body also food particles/bubbles?
Yes - when you see him in person (or in fish?) he only has the spot on his tail fin. I have a custom sump that I need to figure out a bubble trap solution for - micro bubbles from the skimmer currently coming through the return.

Charles2465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - when you see him in person (or in fish?) he only has the spot on his tail fin. I have a custom sump that I need to figure out a bubble trap solution for - micro bubbles from the skimmer currently coming through the return.
Glad to hear it was a false alarm and your fish are ok :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back