OP
OP
T

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I haven't added any fish in over 9 months, then how is it that I can spook my Hippo out, and BOOM, there it is, he's got ICH again. That is why I say your tank will always have it, there are certain fish that will carry it with them, immune if you will, then scare the crap out of them, and BAM, you've gotten it back. I've had my Hippo for 4-5 years now, and she still gets it when I rearrange the tank or do something crazy that scares her.

I do think that it always lives on the fish if not treated and when they get stressed it comes out. But I do believe if you quarantine all your fish with copper or hypo like I am doing now that it will kill it all off.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it dosnt matter if the tank is full of ich if your fish is healthy they wont show signs of it. the ich cant get threw the slime coat of a healthy fish
I think every tank should have a couple sharknose gobies so you dont have to worrie about it

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think that it always lives on the fish if not treated and when they get stressed it comes out. But I do believe if you quarantine all your fish with copper or hypo like I am doing now that it will kill it all off.

This is another misconception. I brought home a Naso Tang who was kept in Copper QT, again, not having any fish added ICH should not have been in my tank, I put him in and within 24hours BAM, ICH. Lot of things people think shouldn't happen, happen.

OP
OP
T

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another misconception. I brought home a Naso Tang who was kept in Copper QT, again, not having any fish added ICH should not have been in my tank, I put him in and within 24hours BAM, ICH. Lot of things people think shouldn't happen, happen.

Did you have other fish in the display that were not quarantined?

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's possible that the fish was not in a high enough level of copper.

Just running a trace of copper will suppress the parasite but not kill it.

This is why some LFS run a trace if copper or lower salinity. Both will surpress the parasite but not stress the fish.

GrahamR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the fish was not in a high enough level of copper.

Just running a trace of copper will suppress the parasite but not kill it.

This is why some LFS run a trace if copper or lower salinity. Both will surpress the parasite but not stress the fish.

Exactly what I suspect too! :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back