ICH Treatment. Always works for me!

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the fish and place in a quarantine tank. Do not add any sand but do add live or dry for the fish to hide in. Place a heater and keep the temperature at 80 degrees farenheight. Keep the lights on a low and only feed garlic added foods or soak frozen food with Garlic Xtreme by Kent Marine or Garlic Guard by Seachem. I reccomend using Copper Power as the medicine to treat ich as it works well and I've had great success especially with Tangs. Run good flow and don't use any carbon or activated carbon in the filter for the quarantine. I reccomend using sponge filters or just running a pump instead of a filter. Keep the fsh fed. Keep them in the quarantine tank for about 4-8 weeks based on the health of the fish and then see if there are any ich signs remaining. After the signs are gone remain keeping the fish in quarantine for about 2 more weeks just to be on the safe side. Also lowering salinity in your quarantine to 2.018 will slow the ich process of reproducing down. However lower the salinity of your quarantine while the fish are in it. Do not lower and then add the fish. Your fish may be in shock and stress out even more if you do. If your tank is overstocked and your quarantine contains alot of fish i recommend running two quarantine tanks. Now you will have high nitrates and nitrites do to no bacteria and pollution of your quarantine that is fine just dose Stability by Seachem and always test your water quality.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating a media bag full of rubble rock or ceramic media in the sump or out of sight in the DT is a great to introduce the good bacteria to the QT :)
Always keep one or two bags in the sump/DT so when you need them, they're ready to go!

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating a media bag full of rubble rock or ceramic media in the sump or out of sight in the DT is a great to introduce the good bacteria to the QT :)
Always keep one or two bags in the sump/DT so when you need them, they're ready to go!

I have some sponges I keep in the sump so when I need to QT I take a sponge from the sump put it in the QT tank full of good bacteria then I can toss it after treatment.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICH Treatment my method

i do realize there are those in need of help with ich ASAP and this is my method. Others may disagree or have different ones but this always works for me.

Remove the fish and place in a quarantine tank. Do not add any sand but do add live or dry for the fish to hide in. Place a heater and keep the temperature at 80 degrees farenheight. Keep the lights on a low and only feed garlic added foods or soak frozen food with Garlic Xtreme by Kent Marine or Garlic Guard by Seachem. I reccomend using Copper Power as the medicine to treat ich as it works well and I've had great success especially with Tangs. Run good flow and don't use any carbon or activated carbon in the filter for the quarantine. I reccomend using sponge filters or just running a pump instead of a filter. Keep the fsh fed. Keep them in the quarantine tank for about 4-8 weeks based on the health of the fish and then see if there are any ich signs remaining. After the signs are gone remain keeping the fish in quarantine for about 2 more weeks just to be on the safe side. Also lowering salinity in your quarantine to 2.018 will slow the ich process of reproducing down. However lower the salinity of your quarantine while the fish are in it. Do not lower and then add the fish. Your fish may be in shock and stress out even more if you do. If your tank is overstocked and your quarantine contains alot of fish i recommend running two quarantine tanks. Now you will have high nitrates and nitrites do to no bacteria and pollution of your quarantine that is fine just dose Stability by Seachem and always test your water quality.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you sharing some of your experience with others!
Just a quick question, is an SG of 1.018 low enough to effect ich? I used to keep my fowlr at 1.019 and I've read going as low as 1.009 is best.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but in order to actually effect it i would slowly drop it as low as 1.010-1.008 and keep it steady and daily twice a day check salinity, ph, alkalinity.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too fast of lowering the salinity will kill the fish. remember some fish its hard for them to do hyposalinity such as puffers.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.2%
Back