ICH treatment plan sanity check

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks, per my last post, I have ich in my system. Here is what I have come with for treatment, let me know if you have any suggestions.

First the stats:

Reef tank - 140g
FOWLR tank - 200g
Both tanks go to the same sump in the garage - 90g sump w/ reefmat, skimmer, large fuge and UV.

Reef tank:
Fox face, large (showing signs of ich)
3 tangs, gem, scopas and naso, all small
2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 sleeper head goby, medium
1 starry blenny
1 flame hawk fish (signs of ich)
Varies corals, inverts and one BTA

FOWLR
1 fox face, tiny
1 porky puffer, small (signs of ich
1 emperor angel, small
2 sleeper head goby, small (pair)
1 longhorn cowfish, tiny
2 zebra eels, large, 4-5 ft
Couple snails

Everyone is eating and happy as of this post.

So, I dont have nearly enough room in my QT set up for all these fish. I have a 300g tank in the garage that was going to be replacing the 200g fowlr in the next month or so. So heres my plan, bear with me:

Step 1= Get an additional sump and separate the two tanks on their own systems.
Step 2= Move all fish into the 200g FOWLR that will now be the treatment tank. Aggression issues?
Step 3= Move eels to a separate 75g tank downstairs.
Step 4= Treat fowlr for ich, let reef system go through the ich cycle without fish.
Step 5= Replace 200g with the new 300g (after treatment) and put fish back where they belong. Reconnect the reef and new 300g together.

I hope this makes sense. Its all I could come up with without the space for that much QT. I am also dosing poly lab medic in the mean time while I get this all set up.

I know eels cant be treated with copper. What do I need to do with them during QT/treatment? Worried if I dont do anything and put them back in the system after 7-8 weeks, they might still be carrying ich.

Only aggression issues I see might be the gobys?

Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok folks, per my last post, I have ich in my system. Here is what I have come with for treatment, let me know if you have any suggestions.

First the stats:

Reef tank - 140g
FOWLR tank - 200g
Both tanks go to the same sump in the garage - 90g sump w/ reefmat, skimmer, large fuge and UV.

Reef tank:
2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 starry blenny

FOWLR
1 fox face, tiny
1 emperor angel, small
1 longhorn cowfish, tiny
Couple snails

So, I dont have nearly enough room in my QT set up for all these fish. I have a 300g tank in the garage that was going to be replacing the 200g fowlr in the next month or so. So heres my plan, bear with me:

Step 2= Move all fish into the 200g FOWLR that will now be the treatment tank. Aggression issues?
Step 4= Treat fowlr for ich, let reef system go through the ich cycle without fish.
Step 5= Replace 200g with the new 300g (after treatment) and put fish back where they belong. Reconnect the reef and new 300g together.

I hope this makes sense. Its all I could come up with without the space for that much QT. I am also dosing poly lab medic in the mean time while I get this all set up.

I know eels cant be treated with copper. What do I need to do with them during QT/treatment? Worried if I dont do anything and put them back in the system after 7-8 weeks, they might still be carrying ich.

Thoughts?
Good plan especially with the eel. Monitor ammonia levels with reliable ammonia kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First the stats:

Reef tank - 140g
FOWLR tank - 200g

Reef tank:
2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 starry blenny

FOWLR
1 fox face, tiny
1 emperor angel, small
1 longhorn cowfish, tiny
Couple snails

Thoughts?

If the eels are in good shape, they can handle a coppersafe treatment (they might go off food). Hyposalinity would also work.

The puffer is the only fish showing signs? You might want to prepare for your treatment, but wait to pull the trigger on it to see if ANY other fish show spots.

Jay

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the eels are in good shape, they can handle a coppersafe treatment (they might go off food). Hyposalinity would also work.

The puffer is the only fish showing signs? You might want to prepare for your treatment, but wait to pull the trigger on it to see if ANY other fish show spots.

Jay
The puffer, the large foxface and the flame hawk are showing signs. The puffer pretty bad, the other two just a couple spots.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back