Ich

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank 75 gallon. I just want to do the treatment with copper in the display tank. I'm just looking for how hard is it going to be to keep it at the recommended level of copper and how much copper should I expect to buy. I want to get rid of this and I'm not doing a fallow tank for 75 days. I have my reasons. Please and thank you. It's all live rock and 3 inches of live sand

20231226_110642.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank 75 gallon. I just want to do the treatment with copper in the display tank. I'm just looking for how hard is it going to be to keep it at the recommended level of copper and how much copper should I expect to buy. I want to get rid of this and I'm not doing a fallow tank for 75 days. I have my reasons. Please and thank you. It's all live rock and 3 inches of live sand

20231226_110642.jpg
Copper will leech into your rocks and substrate. This will make correct dosing very difficult and will have lasting effects. Also is toxic for invertebrates.

Here is a detailed explanation.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are sure of the ich diagnosis, I would consider hyposalinity - that will cure ich and flukes without the residual copper issues.

Jay

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you ask, I’ll answer. Ive done it at least 3 times in the past. Obviously I had no corals/inverts in my Fowlr (500+) when I did it. I twice treated with cupramine in the past (using API copper test kit) before being aware of the Hanna test kit (the only test kit to get) and then ran curprisorb and polyfilter pad to make sure copper is back to negigable levels (2-3 months). I then put back in shrimps, nems, cuc without issues long term afaik. Those same shrimps, nems have been going strong years later 2.5+ years.

Just last year I treated my 500g fowlr with coppersafe (which I recommend over cupramine). I am now running Cuprisorb again to get rid of the copper. I’ll leave the Cuprisorb in for 3-4 months to get any remnants and run a polyfilter pad at the end too for polishing out any leftover copper.

There will be about 2-3 weeks where you’ll get an idea of what your copper level is and how much is being absorb by the rocks/sand. (I find with my calculations that I have to dose almost 3 times the amount of copper to get and hold the right amount of therapeutic level over the period of the treatment versus if it was a bare qt setup.

Of course, if I can catch and house my fish in another ‘bare’ qt, that would be the preferred method but sometimes that isn’t feasible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back