Ich?

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I just got this mandaren yesterday. Are these white spots ich? Or stress?
Also looking for general qurantive advice. I have a 60g and strictly qurantined all those fish according to sticky guidelines on here. I got a 90g from some people with their fish and coral and since they didnt qurantine their fish I figured it's kind of counter productive to qurantine new ones (??). I added the manderin to the 90. Should I remove all these fish and qurantine them? It gives me pretty bad anxiety no qurantening but if they are all healthy should I just qurantine newcomers? Thank you!

20240219_104412.jpg

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Also looking for general qurantive advice. I have a 60g and strictly qurantined all those fish according to sticky guidelines on here. I got a 90g from some people with their fish and coral and since they didnt qurantine their fish I figured it's kind of counter productive to qurantine new ones (??). I added the manderin to the 90. Should I remove all these fish and qurantine them? It gives me pretty bad anxiety no qurantening but if they are all healthy should I just qurantine newcomers? Thank you!

20240219_104412.jpg
Also if it is ich how do you qurantine a manderin (specifically copepod feeding)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

20240219_104412.jpg
Tough to see clearly - the dorsal fin has some erosion. The fish seems to have some algae or detritus stuck to it. The white cast to the skin is mucus. The fish seems a bit thin and bedraggled overall.

These are tough to quarantine. I have a fishless coral prop system that I can hold these in for 4 weeks or so, lots of pods for them to eat. I realize that is a bit of a luxury, but it works better than our standard protocol here.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see clearly - the dorsal fin has some erosion. The fish seems to have some algae or detritus stuck to it. The white cast to the skin is mucus. The fish seems a bit thin and bedraggled overall.

These are tough to quarantine. I have a fishless coral prop system that I can hold these in for 4 weeks or so, lots of pods for them to eat. I realize that is a bit of a luxury, but it works better than our standard protocol here.

Jay
Im not sure if this is clearer? What are your thoughts on removing all the fish and qt them?

Attachments

• 20240219_121409.jpg
    20240219_121409.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im not sure if this is clearer? What are your thoughts on removing all the fish and qt them?
I see more of a bacterial issue than I see parasitical. Please post a video of the fish under white light intensity

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be ich, still not a super clear photo.

I would wait to see if the other fish develop symptoms before moving them. It would be prudent to start to get things set up though.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see more of a bacterial issue than I see parasitical. Please post a video of the fish under white light intensity
I transferred it to a qt because I got so paranoid. It definetelt has numerous very tiny white dots. I don't think I will be able to get a clear video I just tried but just have normal ceiling light in the room with qt. I did notice its fins seem ragged and kind of odd they dont have the typical blue outline kn the fins. It also has labored breathing. I didnt see it eat any copepods in the DT. It's in copper now not sure if that was a good move.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I transferred it to a qt because I got so paranoid. It definetelt has numerous very tiny white dots. I don't think I will be able to get a clear video I just tried but just have normal ceiling light in the room with qt. I did notice its fins seem ragged and kind of odd they dont have the typical blue outline kn the fins. It also has labored breathing. I didnt see it eat any copepods in the DT. It's in copper now not sure if that was a good move.
While they can get ich, its rare they do, reason for request for clearer video image
As for copper, you would be better off with general cure or chloroquine phosphate. They dont do well with copper and it can be lethal with them

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not eating and labored breathing are both really serious symptoms. Ich doesn't cause that except at the end of an infection.

I would contact your dealer - there is no way that this fish became this sick so quickly from something in your tank, it had to have been sick when you bought it.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating and labored breathing are both really serious symptoms. Ich doesn't cause that except at the end of an infection.

I would contact your dealer - there is no way that this fish became this sick so quickly from something in your tank, it had to have been sick when you bought it.

Jay
Ok thank you!! All my other fish are completely healthy so it is very strange

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you!! All my other fish are completely healthy so it is very strange
They haven’t had time to show any disease yet if the mandarin brought something into your tank - that takes from 3 to 14 days to show.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven’t had time to show any disease yet if the mandarin brought something into your tank - that takes from 3 to 14 days to show.
Oh my I meant I dont think my other fish gave him something. That makes my anxious. I might just start over and put them all in qt with copper. I dont want to loose any of my fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my I meant I dont think my other fish gave him something. That makes my anxious. I might just start over and put them all in qt with copper. I dont want to loose any of my fish.
You could run them through a re quarantine, as long as you have a stable tank to do that in.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run them through a re quarantine, as long as you have a stable tank to do that in.
It died can you look at these photos/video. What do you think it was? Im going to qt all my dt fish and want to know if starting copper first is appropriate. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240220_132032.mp4
    65.9 MB
  • 20240220_132028.jpg
    20240220_132028.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240220_132330.jpg
    20240220_132330.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It died can you look at these photos/video. What do you think it was? Im going to qt all my dt fish and want to know if starting copper first is appropriate. Thank you!
Sorry, without a microscope, you usually cannot tell cause of death from a dead fish.
I will say that it sure looks a mess! It is skinny, with torn fins and white spots on the body, so multiple issues. I keep coming back to the idea that this fish wasn’t in good shape when you got it.
Coppersafe is you safest bet to run in the QT.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, without a microscope, you usually cannot tell cause of death from a dead fish.
I will say that it sure looks a mess! It is skinny, with torn fins and white spots on the body, so multiple issues. I keep coming back to the idea that this fish wasn’t in good shape when you got it.
Coppersafe is you safest bet to run in the QT.
Thanks so much! I moved all of my fish into cycled qt tanks I had and started copper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back