OP
OP
Jskinn27

Jskinn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 are left. I only have a 10 gal right now for 2 clowns, hawkfish, blenny and a flame angel.

OP
OP
Jskinn27

Jskinn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to get a 30 gal for free. Hopefully I’ll get it soon

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but based on the pictures and the descriptions, you are dealing with velvet. Here's Humblefish's Emergency Velvet protocol:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499399

The short version:

• 5 minute freshwater dip
  • Immediately afterwards, perform a chemical bath (in saltwater matching SG/temp the fish came from). You have two options:
  1. Acriflavine (preferred) - Do the bath for 75-90 minutes, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain acriflavine: Acriflavine-MS and Ruby Reef Rally. DO NOT mix acriflavine with any other chemicals.
  2. Formalin - Do the bath for 30-60 minutes max, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus. Use protection (rubber gloves, face mask, eye protection, etc.) whenever handling formalin as it is a known carcinogen! However, you can add Methylene Blue to the formalin bath (1 capful per 2-3 gallons of bath water.)
  • After the bath, place the fish in a QT pre-dosed at 80mg/gal using Chloroquine phosphate. In theory, copper (exs. Cupramine, Coppersafe, Copper Power) should work just as well as CP. However, due to how fast velvet can reproduce you don’t have the luxury of slowly ramping up the copper level as is normally advised. Therefore, the fish needs to be placed in a QT with copper already at minimum therapeutic levels. This is the advantage CP has over copper in this particular situation.
  • While in QT, use a wide spectrum antibiotic (exs. Seachem Kanaplex, Furan-2) for the first week to ward off any possible bacterial infections. Secondary bacterial infections are very common in fish with preexisting parasitic infestations such as velvet.
  • Keep the fish in CP or copper (at therapeutic levels) for one month. However, you can transfer the fish into a non-medicated holding tank for observation after just two weeks (explained below). DO NOT lower the CP or copper level before transferring.

Didn't I read on a thread earlier today that a strain of Velvet has been identified which is resistant to copper at current dosing levels? Check before you start with copper to confirm dosing.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to get a 30 gal for free. Hopefully I’ll get it soon
10 would be a bit cramped and challenging to keep parameters inline for 30+ days. A 20 works well for me. The 30 you mentioned would be even better. Hint. Measure the tank to see how big it actually is as far as gallons. Mark the front of the QT with a permanent marker either by gallon or 5 gallon increments. Really helps when dosing meds for quick reference, especially when you are tired or in a hurry. ;)

OP
OP
Jskinn27

Jskinn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why my comment didn’t post.. but I have 2 clowns, hawkfish, blenny and a flame angel.

OP
OP
Jskinn27

Jskinn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't I read on a thread earlier today that a strain of Velvet has been identified which is resistant to copper at current dosing levels? Check before you start with copper to confirm dosing.
Yes you did. I read that post too

OP
OP
Jskinn27

Jskinn27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, quick update. My lfs let me borrow a fish trap. I got all the fish out except my blenny. My 2 clowns flame angel and longnose hawk are in a 35 gal qt tank I scored for free.

I woke up this morning and check on the fish and my hawkfish is dead... down to 3 in qt and one still in my DT.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.5%
Back