Ich!!

Alarsen77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my blonde naso came down with ich 2 weeks after putting him in my tank and now my two clowns have ich too. It is a reef tank and I don't have a quarantine tank.

What is your best suggestion for me trying to save them or atleast not kill too many fish?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are not going to QT the fish I would suggest making sure the water levels were optimal, the temperature of the water was very stable all throughout the day, make sure there is no stray current in the water, and feed the fish very well! If you can keep him eating good chances are he will beat it.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear garlic soaked food helps with their slime coat production, I never could see a difference on MY outbreak. But some swear to it.

Also what I did was go buy a CHEAP tank at Walmart or petco. And use that for a temp qt. that actually worked. I still lost a pb tang and 3 clowns but I did the tank thing too late. A few fish survived including a clown/ 3 damsels and a goby. ( gobies are less susceptible to am outbreak than most fish)

The thing is to try and MAKE them eat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alarsen77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I set my dads 10 gallon tank up as qt tank with cupramine. I have a heater in it and an aquaclear 70 running for flow purposes not filtration. I took water right from my system to start it with dosed it with te cupramine and added the fish. How long should I keep them in this tank before I put them back in my tank?

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your time and money on any of the in-tank treatments - kick-ich etc.

revhtree/redtop03 are right - the killer is stress.

IMHO - qt on the way in is fine - catching and putting in a hospital tank kills as many or more than if you just let them ride it out. Garlic soaked food can't hurt - but I've never seen any difference.

I run a high volume diatom filter in tank for a couple of weeks if it gets bad - does it work? Who really knows, but I've never lost a fish this way.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back