Ick wont go

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local LFS recommended PolypLab Medic. It won't eradicate ick, but it's suppose to suppress them in the free floating stage. I've been dosing it for 10 days, and I haven't lost any fish (fingers crossed). 2nd round of ick (after they initial fall off and reproduce) was significantly less (only a few fish broke out and nowhere near as bad). .

I don't know this product but I'll play devil's advocate and mention that the progression you describe is often the case for ich/crypto, even without any medication.
For ich/crypto management, going that route successfully imo involves uncrowded nonstressful conditions, clean water, a strong UV sterilizer, and no new additions for a long time.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know this product but I'll play devil's advocate and mention that the progression you describe is often the case for ich/crypto, even without any medication.
For ich/crypto management, going that route successfully imo involves uncrowded nonstressful conditions, clean water, a strong UV sterilizer, and no new additions for a long time.

I didn't know this product either. BRS doesn't even offer it (Marine Depot does).

Also read the 50/50 reviews and was skeptical, but 2 people I trust at the LFS said they've used it with success...so I gave it a try.

I understand that ick can give you a false sense of security when they fall off, only to reproduce in spades and come back with a vengeance. That's why I held back on commenting until I had an opportunity to go through a few weeks of treatment. As previously mentioned, it won't eradicate ich...but it supposedly reduces their numbers in the free floating stage to allow your fish a better chance to fight it off. To that end, it seems to be working.

I'll update in a few weeks...

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know this product either. BRS doesn't even offer it (Marine Depot does).

Also read the 50/50 reviews and was skeptical, but 2 people I trust at the LFS said they've used it with success...so I gave it a try.

I understand that ick can give you a false sense of security when they fall off, only to reproduce in spades and come back with a vengeance. That's why I held back on commenting until I had an opportunity to go through a few weeks of treatment. As previously mentioned, it won't eradicate ich...but it supposedly reduces their numbers in the free floating stage to allow your fish a better chance to fight it off. To that end, it seems to be working.

I'll update in a few weeks...

Update:

This is purely anecdotal, but my fish were able to fight off the ich. I had one loss (ironically enough, he didn't even seem to have any spots on him), but the rest have recovered. My Blue Hippo that was constantly flashing against the rocks has stopped, all my tangs went from hiding in the rocks to their normal rock grazing selves, and, except for the occasional spec on a fish, the ich has seemed to subside.

Is ich eradicated in my tank? Definitely not.

Did this product give my fish a fighting chance? I'd have to say "yes".

To put it another way, there was the Round 1 outbreak followed by the Round 2 outbreak that claimed my Kole Tang. Round 3 outbreak was severely reduced, and Rounds 4 and 5 were so minimal that you wouldn't even know there was ich in the tank.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth...

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

This is purely anecdotal, but my fish were able to fight off the ich. I had one loss (ironically enough, he didn't even seem to have any spots on him), but the rest have recovered. My Blue Hippo that was constantly flashing against the rocks has stopped, all my tangs went from hiding in the rocks to their normal rock grazing selves, and, except for the occasional spec on a fish, the ich has seemed to subside.

Is ich eradicated in my tank? Definitely not.

Did this product give my fish a fighting chance? I'd have to say "yes".

To put it another way, there was the Round 1 outbreak followed by the Round 2 outbreak that claimed my Kole Tang. Round 3 outbreak was severely reduced, and Rounds 4 and 5 were so minimal that you wouldn't even know there was ich in the tank.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth...
Another ich outbreak. Treating with Medic again.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back