Ick

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like early brook to me. It may ALSO have ich but I am almost positive it has brook.

You need to remove all fish and treat them in Metroplex (for brook) and Copper Power (for ich and velvet) for 14 days and then transfer to another sterile quarantine tank for observation.

You can also do metroplex for 14 days and Copper Power for a full 30 (concurrently) if you only have one tank. Run the tank fallow for 76 days or this will re-play.

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like early brook to me. It may ALSO have ich but I am almost positive it has brook.

You need to remove all fish and treat them in Metroplex (for brook) and Copper Power (for ich and velvet) for 14 days and then transfer to another sterile quarantine tank for observation.

You can also do metroplex for 14 days and Copper Power for a full 30 (concurrently) if you only have one tank. Run the tank fallow for 76 days or this will re-play.

Problem. Is I have corals in it and I don’t want to Jill them in the process

soflmuddin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't treat the display tank you treat the fish in another tank. your real problem is the eels. While they won't die from ich they sure will still have some parasites in their gills. I had this problem with my predator reef tank also. I have just accepted that I have an ich tank and learned to live with it. I don't know the exact answer as to the how but definitely feeding all fish well is a start. Obviosly avoid stressing the fish best you can.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the fish and treat in a quarantine. Use BioSpira for the cycle

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried a freshwater dip on a mag fox face and it worked! I could t believe what cane off this fish in 5 min. This morning I was happy to see he is back to eating again !

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't treat the display tank you treat the fish in another tank. your real problem is the eels. While they won't die from ich they sure will still have some parasites in their gills. I had this problem with my predator reef tank also. I have just accepted that I have an ich tank and learned to live with it. I don't know the exact answer as to the how but definitely feeding all fish well is a start. Obviosly avoid stressing the fish best you can.

Yea man it’s not easy lol

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all the Ick experts, so if the tank has to run for 76 days fallow what happens to the Ick if it doesn't find a host within 76 days? Dies?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all the Ick experts, so if the tank has to run for 76 days fallow what happens to the Ick if it doesn't find a host within 76 days? Dies?

To help clarify, it’s not like ich is like an entity that haunts the tank for 76 days and dies if it can’t find a host. It is a parasitic infection that we colloquially identify as a singular thing, but is hundreds or thousands of parasites. Most ich cysts on the rock release their parasites within 2-3 weeks, but certain strains under certain conditions can take up to 76 days to release. Some could take even longer, so there is never a truly 100% safe fallow period.

So if all the ich cysts hatch within 76 days and there are no fish for them to infect to continue their life cycle, your system should be ich free.

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help clarify, it’s not like ich is like an entity that haunts the tank for 76 days and dies if it can’t find a host. It is a parasitic infection that we colloquially identify as a singular thing, but is hundreds or thousands of parasites. Most ich cysts on the rock release their parasites within 2-3 weeks, but certain strains under certain conditions can take up to 76 days to release. Some could take even longer, so there is never a truly 100% safe fallow period.

So if all the ich cysts hatch within 76 days and there are no fish for them to infect to continue their life cycle, your system should be ich free.
I was asking because I removed one fish that had ick and currently using the TTM with success. The rest of the fish are fine but no signs of Ick on them. So I was curious, if 76 pass and no one else gets infected ick is over.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was asking because I removed one fish that had ick and currently using the TTM with success. The rest of the fish are fine but no signs of Ick on them. So I was curious, if 76 pass and no one else gets infected ick is over.

the 76 days is for the tank - not the fish. In other words, if there is a fish with CI in your tank - and you remove it - you can treat the fish with TTM - will take about 13-20 days.

In the tank - lets the last fish you removed shed some of the CI cysts the day you removed them. They go to the substrate and 'encyst'. This might take up to a day or so . They then start making 'infectious particles'. The infectious particles remain in the cysts FOR UP TO 72 days (usually they are released much sooner), but they only live a very short time ie hours. So - you leave your tank with no fish for 76 days. So that if infectious particles are released from cysts in the gravel on day 72, within 4 days they will all be dead and theoretically there will be no CI in your tank

The TTM theory works on the same 'life cycle' - if a fish has CI, they have particles attached to themselves. They are released within a couple days. The particles that are released then go to the bottom of your TTM tank and form cysts and start to make infectious particles (as above). If you leave your fish in that tank for lets say 48 hours all that will be happening is that cysts will be falling off (i.e. no new infection - because there are no new infectious particles. If you remove the fish into a clean (i.e. no cysts) tank - again - no new infection can occur because there are no infectious particles. The Cysts on the fish (if any) will continue to fall off - and then they will encyst on the bottom of the tank and again start to make infectious particles. But there are no infectious particles in the water. If you remove the fish after 48 hours and keep repeating this process every 48 hours, for 12-14 days, all of the CI will have left the fish. Its important to clean/sterilize the tank after the fish is removed to eradicate any of the cysts on the bottom of the tank containing infectious particles.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back