Ick?

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this ick on my damsel? if so how should I treat it? I have a reef tank so copper wouldn’t work. my damsel is luckily eating very well and acting normal.

Attachments

• 61217330209__30F41D86-E829-4C6A-B331-36C09DC8E079.MOV
    1.6 MB

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry can't see much in the video the fish is moving too fast. But here's some info that may help you decide on your next move if it is indeed Ich:

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well today one of the spots is a bit bigger. it’s definitely ich. not really sure how he got it. I’m not super worried about it right now because he seems to be fighting it pretty well and is eating still and showing his normal behavior. I think I’m going to try management because right now I don’t have the resources to start a qt or even catch my fish. 3 damsels in a 10 gallon reef with tons of live rock and coral, catching fish is impossible I’ve already tried. I noticed like one or two spots on my other damsels but I heard that’s relatively normal if ich is in the tanks system. One of the damsels has been in the pet store for a while and I’ve seen with ich before so i’m assuming it’s developed more of an immunity. would anyone happen to to have any tips of management? I know it’s a pretty controversial topic.

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: all the ich appears to have disappeared, but I only noticed it yesterday evening. it was definitely ich but now it’s gone, almost as if the fish was easily able to fight it. my fish never scratched or even showed any symptoms other than the visible ones. kinda trippy

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Many man many tanks exist just fine with ich in the system. Chances are you're going to be just fine with the crew you have as long as you keep things relatively stable and just go about your business. The real issues come up when you add new fish who might trigger a more intense breakout.

People are going to have different opinions on whether it's cool to let your fish stay in an inch-infested tank....but that's a personal choice. And if they're eating and healthy and not flashing or pacing then oh well?

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed that I see a lot of quarantine ***** saying that all your fish will die without a qt or bashing people for not having a qt so it’s nice to see a different viewpoint. thanks for the help!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve noticed that I see a lot of quarantine ***** saying that all your fish will die without a qt or bashing people for not having a qt so it’s nice to see a different viewpoint. thanks for the help!

ha - well - just for the record...I'm 100% QT everything wet. I've had tanks with ich and I've tried to get away with it for a while, but every time I added a new fish things would explode and things would die. So now I QT absolutely everything as best as I can.

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it would be better to qt if you have the resources but for those who dont, I’ve heard it’s best to get hardy fish like damsels (including clowns), or fish with strong mucus coats. but if I were keeping tangs or anything else really I think I’d be better of investing in a qt to save more money haha. I’m just a noob with a 10 gallon so for me it seems almost impractical.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back