ICP Elevated Silver (Ag)

Z Burn's Reefing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2016
Messages
441
Reaction score
756
Location
Utah
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got back the result from my latest monthly ICP.

Out of the blue, silver came back elevated:

IMG_2643.jpeg


Should I chalk it up as an erroneous result? Or take it serious and do a round of water changes? Would activated carbon help?

I honestly have never had silver come up before so am a little confused on where it could be coming from?

All thoughts and insights are much appreciated! Tank seems ok.
 
Just got back the result from my latest monthly ICP.

Out of the blue, silver came back elevated:

IMG_2643.jpeg


Should I chalk it up as an erroneous result? Or take it serious and do a round of water changes? Would activated carbon help?

I honestly have never had silver come up before so am a little confused on where it could be coming from?

All thoughts and insights are much appreciated! Tank seems ok.
This datapoint seems concerning, but I don’t know enough to weigh in from experience. I’m interested to follow the discussion and learn more. I know your tank is looking “ok” though 👀 🔥 🪸 🤣
Also curious to know what we would be looking For with this. You definitely seem to have good coral health.

Without the forum’s input my action would be water change and carbon more research into metazorb. Then Trying to figure out if it’s erroneous or you have a real issue or source. Maybe this calls for a stat follow up or trying a test with higher sensitivity?

I was chatting with you on IG about growouts upcoming. I’m @sandlapperaquaculture over there.
 
I have never seen elevated silver in a reef tank. I am not convinced it’s any concern, or even that it is real. At the moment its only about twice the acceptable EPA limit.

As to sources, there are a number of consumer products that contain silver, as do pH electrodes. Any chance you broke one in the water?

Any chance a piece of jewelry fell into the water ?

Silver is often used in or on products to reduce bacteria growth. You might review any such products you use in your home. Any wound treatments used before reaching into the water?
 
Thanks Randy, yea I don't believe any jewelry has falling into the tank. Unless one of my kids threw something in there by accident and didn't tell me. I think that likelihood is pretty low.

No use of wound treatments and not using any products to decrease bacterial growth. I am going to do a larger water change the next two weekends, then send in another ICP to see if that measurement can be reproduced. I am thinking it is not real at the moment.
 
I have nothing to contribute factually speaking

But from a grow out perspective….That explains it! Your corals are actually 3d printed silver statues!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new