ICP result - High tellurium

AcroLover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I have just got my first ICP test results and would really appreciate it if some of you experienced reefers would be so kind as to help me with the results!

I have 20G tank which is 2 years old, everything has been going pretty well up until about 2 months ago when my zoas and LPS stopped opening. I thought it best to get a ICP test.

My Tellurium is 33 ug/L, which seems to be incredibly high.
I can't figure out where this "Tellurium" came from, and it appears to be toxic.
And Barium is 61 ug/L

SmartSelect_20230906_122002_SmartReef.jpg SmartSelect_20230906_122028_SmartReef.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What company is this?

To state that barium plays an important role in coral growth is ridiculous, IMO. Barium has no known biological role in any living organism on the planet earth, and it gives me low confidence in anything this company says. It is also not very toxic and I'd ignore it.

I've not ever seen anyone report high levels of TE, which makes me suspicious that it may not be accurate. It is an expensive metal, and has some uses in solar cells and a few other applications. Due to its rarity, there's not a lot of studies if toxicity since it rarely is elevated in nature.

I would not do anything without a repeat result from a different ICP company (make sure they test it as some may not). If it is truly elevated, then a metal binding polymer such as metasorb, cuprisorb, or a polyfilter may be able to help remove it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's disappointing that they make that claim, IMO.

IMO, to claim something novel that is not known to science in general requires some justification.

From the Royal Society of Chemistry:

"Barium has no known biological role, although barium sulfate has been found in one particular type of algae."

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems they are repeatedly reporting an unexpected and unusually high value for Tellurium. This indicates a pretty severe lack of any meaningful QC. Any reputable lab should have noticed repeated outliers for this analyte, or if this is only recent samples then a shift in their mean, etc. Unless they can provide a good explanation for this analyte being an exception (i.e. reason why other results would be valid when this one isn't), I would consider the results of little value.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back