ICP test - really high p04

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I have a reefer 350 for a year now (my first tank). I've struggled to get anything but some softies to stay alive, and nothing has really thrived. I've had some lps die in the last few months (torch, hammer, elegance). So I finally go a triton ICP test done.

Now I test my water and my levels at home and they are usually within normal range. Alk around 10, Nitrate 5ppm and P04 usually 0.02.

But its the P04 that really surprised me on the results of the ICP. It's showing 7.7mg/l. Which is insanely high. How can my Salifert test be so low and the ICP so high?

Also I'm not sure how it could get so high. I had increased feeding a few months back to help battle dinos, but surely it couldn't cause it. I also started a refugium a while back.

I suppose for now I'll just do some really large water changes and cut back on the feeding. But its the difference in test results I'm not getting. Someone suggested a Hanna checker. Low range probably not much good for me though?

Thanks

icp.JPG

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that the low range is probably not gonna be any use now, but once you get it under control and manageable, then I would opt for the Hanna Low Range. Have not looked back since using it.

I use the Phosphorus version and just do the mathematical conversion to PPM.

I tried the Salifert kit, but did not like trying to determine my levels that way, so I got a Hanna. Plus, I wanted to reduce the chances of any testing errors.

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that the low range is probably not gonna be any use now, but once you get it under control and manageable, then I would opt for the Hanna Low Range. Have not looked back since using it.

I use the Phosphorus version and just do the mathematical conversion to PPM.

I tried the Salifert kit, but did not like trying to determine my levels that way, so I got a Hanna. Plus, I wanted to reduce the chances of any testing errors.
Thanks, yea I was trying to get my head around the different types of hanna checkers. Why is the phosphorus one better than just a Phosphate one, more accurate?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yea I was trying to get my head around the different types of hanna checkers. Why is the phosphorus one better than just a Phosphate one, more accurate?
Hello, yes the phosphorus ULR is more accurate in the low range than the other.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back