ICP test results

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone would like some a little help. I had an ICP test done on both my tank and RO unit, figured it wouldnt hurt to see what my starting water is like. Below are the 2 results:

shared-widget-1582944936760.jpeg
shared-widget-1582944939887.jpeg

The left is my tank, which if you have any suggestions on getting my calcium down wouldnt mind hearing them, I use Instant Ocean salt, and dose B-Ionic 2 part, my alk is 8.5 dkh. My RO unit is a 4 stage BRS unit which looks like I'm going to upgrade to a 6 stage, running 1 anion, 1 cation, and 1 mixed resin, hopefully that helps. I'm open to any suggestions :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either do waterchanges to lower calcium with io since its calcium is 380 to 400ppm, or just dose baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) until calcification takes down the calcium. What are you dosing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone would like some a little help. I had an ICP test done on both my tank and RO unit, figured it wouldnt hurt to see what my starting water is like. Below are the 2 results:

shared-widget-1582944936760.jpeg
shared-widget-1582944939887.jpeg

The left is my tank, which if you have any suggestions on getting my calcium down wouldnt mind hearing them, I use Instant Ocean salt, and dose B-Ionic 2 part, my alk is 8.5 dkh. My RO unit is a 4 stage BRS unit which looks like I'm going to upgrade to a 6 stage, running 1 anion, 1 cation, and 1 mixed resin, hopefully that helps. I'm open to any suggestions :)

I’m not a fan of this company. What was the tds of the ro water? It would be quite high if their sodium data is accurate.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either do waterchanges to lower calcium with io since its calcium is 380 to 400ppm, or just dose baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) until calcification takes down the calcium. What are you dosing?

Just B-Ionic 2 part

I’m not a fan of this company. What was the tds of the ro water? It would be quite high if their sodium data is accurate.

my tds reads 0, brand new filters and RO membrane

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just B-Ionic 2 part

Then stop the calcium part and just dose the alkalinity part. Im with Randy i wouldnt trust icp.com. triton gets my confidence. Have you tested calcium with a test kit?

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then stop the calcium part and just dose the alkalinity part. Im with Randy i wouldnt trust icp.com. triton gets my confidence. Have you tested calcium with a test kit?

i have tested with hanna checker and get around 500ish every time i test. I dont think im going to upgrade my 4 stage RO/DI as it seems that if all the elements that says is getting through it would show on my TDS meter as something

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have tested with hanna checker and get around 500ish every time i test. I dont think im going to upgrade my 4 stage RO/DI as it seems that if all the elements that says is getting through it would show on my TDS meter as something
What about your cities water quality report? If you can find it, it might say how much sodium is typically in your tap water along with other stuff you can compare with.

Id just lower calcium by dosing only alk part for a while.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is running good, which it may not be, why do anything? I've never done this kind of testing. It seems pointless since the water chemistry will be different a month from now. To me it appears like a rabbit hole separating people from their money.

I'd also be curious to see someone send identical samples unbeknownst to these ICP companies and see if the results are identical. I'm betting they won't be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about your cities water quality report? If you can find it, it might say how much sodium is typically in your tap water along with other stuff you can compare with.

Id just lower calcium by dosing only alk part for a while.

have my unit hooked up after a water softer, and looking at the report not really seeing anything in the report about Sodium/salt

Back